[Olympus] Has it failed already?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ronoxQ

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by ronoxQ »

The point is, "bloated" does NOT mean "slow." And having a featurelss forum just *beep* off users.

The point of this THREAD is jsut that: phpBB is now where other forums were a year ago. And they are the most-used forum, they make money from donations: they have no excuse for not keeping up-to-date.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

bigmouth wrote:
SHS` wrote:
danb00 wrote: RSS is a big thing same with AJAX. Everywere you look its mosty RSS and some forms of AJAX.
What im trying to ay is phpBB should of released this public test version a year ago. phpBB needs to really start pushing the project, they should of started doing this a while back. This release is WAY overdue in the terms of new technology and features.
"Everywhere", "mostly", "I'm", "say", "should have"... grief.
while i do agree with shs regarding most of his criticism, i think, in this specific topic, to mock someone for typos is a little bit ironic, seeing that the lack of any spellchecking provisions is one of the most glaring missing links in phpbb3. (and, to the best of my knowledge, some form of spell-check is available in all the leading bbs systems, including the free and open smf)
think about it: in the (somewhat funny) endless squabble about quick-reply, phpbb team constantly advocate the difference between a bb system and chat, claiming that quick-reply will push boards towards quicker and less well thought-of posts.
but taking the same logic forward, if you are serious about caring so much for the quality of the posts, a spell-checker provision is a must-have.
true, not all php installation have pspell installed, but php has a nice little function, namely function_exists(), which lets you create a feature even if it relies on an optional php module.

and, on top of not supporting spell-check, mocking a writer for typos is just not right ;) .
You know i have never really gotten into what i do. However my nick should be some sort of indication. The weather. Now what does this have to do with quick-reply? Simple. OBS/Storm reporting etc. quick-reply greatly helps when people are in a hurry etc with posting live weather obs. This feature came in very handy last year when all the hurricanes were wreaking havoc on the US coastline and people were checking in from the areas being affected by those hurricanes with their obs and everything else they could provide. Naturally alot of these people have to hurry because of no telling when their electric etc would fail because of the storms/hurricanes. I am soo tired of hearing the chat comparison which is bogus. Most forums anyways now have a actuall chatroom. So please let's stop with the chat comparisons. It's WRONG and couldnt be further from the truth. The SAME could be said for the SUPPOSED number of people who say they dont want it. ALL i ever see is the same FEW who ever reply that say they dont want it. quick-reply serves the needs of those on the go or who may not at the moment have the time to go thru the normal routine as i pointed out above. I am sure this would apply to all organizations dealing with the weather, News, etc ie:media. Have some consideration for all of those instead of your few selfserving intrest that couldnt be further from the truth. Sorry guy's but if you all wanna CONTINUE to be main players in the BB world then you have better get and stay with the times and get over your own little need's that are outdated atleast where this issue is concerned. I dont mean to sound so harsh but facts are facts and this will be the ONLY BBS that wont have quick-reply something that IS A BIG NEED and a VERY wanted feature amongst admin's running BBS sites and their users who post on those BBS. And for those FEW who dont want it a little simple off and ON switch via ACP should do the trick. I know it is too late now for this feature to get thrown in however hopefully it can be added on the next update/version.

Just some simple advice i hope the developers here take into consideration when the work begins on the next major release of phpbb. As said sorry if i sounded harsh.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

ronoxQ wrote: they make money from donations: they have no excuse for not keeping up-to-date.
I was under the impression phpBB didn't accept donations, or did I miss hear something?

Also anyone notice a certian two words seemed to be getting replaced?

this following should be the words reply and quick i the other order:
quick reply

[edit]
In response to the above post:
3.0 is feature frozen, plain and simple, quick-reply will NOT be in v3.0's core.
The developers (who ultimutely get to decide which features to implement) have made it clear they have no plans to add that feature. I think the replacement they have got on thoose two words should make it more than obvious.
There is of course no telling what the future has in store, the developers ay change their mind, or members of the dev team may change, but I wouldn't count on either of thoose happening.

It should be a simpleish MOD, I am not even sure if it requires a code change, could a template just add a text box that posts to the correct page? I guess it will require some research in the code.
However I expect such a MOD will be created quite soon after release.

phpBB are pretty good in that they let people put their mods on phpBB.com (I mean the MOD instructions/files can be found there, NOT that the MODs are run there because they aren't)
Last edited by Yoda_IRC on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Please read the Forum rules, it is at the top of each page.

The developers are tired of seeing it, so they did a word(s) replacement on certain phrases.
Last edited by psi29a on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

Yoda_IRC wrote:
ronoxQ wrote: they make money from donations: they have no excuse for not keeping up-to-date.
I was under the impression phpBB didn't accept donations, or did I miss hear something?

[quick reply will not be added]

Believe me i noticed and personally i think it is RUDE. And is WHY i made the comment about it being their OWN need and not the majority. They make that very obvious by doing things such as that.

Wert

Post by Wert »

bigmouth wrote: ...if you are serious about caring so much for the quality of the posts, a spell-checker provision is a must-have.
No, because spelling is taken care of quite nicely by an extension I use for firefox and that functionality will soon be built in. Mac users have spell checking available systemwide also and there are free spell checkers for MSIE that work just fine with forums.

I see no real need for it to be core functionality. Since I use Firefox (and it will soon be core functionality in that), I see no need to duplicate functionality.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

Yoda_IRC wrote:

[quick reply will not be added]

[edit]
In response to the above post:
3.0 is feature frozen, plain and simple, quick-reply will NOT be in v3.0's core.
The developers (who ultimutely get to decide which features to implement) have made it clear they have no plans to add that feature. I think the replacement they have got on thoose two words should make it more than obvious.
There is of course no telling what the future has in store, the developers ay change their mind, or members of the dev team may change, but I wouldn't count on either of thoose happening.

It should be a simpleish MOD, I am not even sure if it requires a code change, could a template just add a text box that posts to the correct page? I guess it will require some research in the code.
However I expect such a MOD will be created quite soon after release.

phpBB are pretty good in that they let people put their mods on phpBB.com (I mean the MOD instructions/files can be found there, NOT that the MODs are run there because they aren't)
As said you are the FEW. Your debate is old. Sorry. And btw in the future UNLESS your a actuall DEVELOPER and or on the staff LET THEM ANSWER for themselves when issues like this gets brought up.

Thanks.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

ronoxQ wrote: having a featurelss forum just *beep* off users. [...] And they are the most-used forum
Amazing eh? You could almost say that there's people who don't want a million modifications as part of the core. (Infact there's a percentage of users who don't want to upgrade to olympus because they find it has too many features. :) )

Incorrect. We do not accept domantions, we never have done and never will. Please do not spread FUD.

As for quick-reply, here's the post I made some time ago about the top 5 most popular 2.0.x modifications:
viewtopic.php?p=132676#p132676
(and thanks to dhn for finding it for me :) )

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

ronoxQ

Post by ronoxQ »

Then I'd say that ACCEPTING donations would be the next obvious step. It doesn't *beep* us off, you know, and it will help you.

The users that don't want a lot are in the definite minority. And either way, just let 'em disable what they don't want.

I know I'm from the proverbial devil's camp, but I support freeware, and I'm giving the view from the other side. Sorry if I bug you guys! ^_^

SamG

Post by SamG »

ronoxQ wrote: I know I'm from the proverbial devil's camp, but I support freeware, and I'm giving the view from the other side. Sorry if I bug you guys! ^_^
Well, freeware and vB.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood