[Olympus] Has it failed already?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TwistedWeather

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by TwistedWeather »

Wow. The minute i read the author's post here i knew the replies that would come.

First off which i think everyone who has replied missed and or miss understood was about how long this project has taken. Which i can help with. CVC was down most if not all of April of which caused the project to be delayed. And ( Staff correct me if i am wrong ) back in the early winter/late last fall one of the core people who were working on this project left which shorted them here till a replacement was found.

Now onto the part about SMF. It isnt open source BUT it IS FREE. The only thing they charge for is for a little extra support and whenever they do updates the people who paid get the first release before the general public does. The rest that the poster said about smf having features/etc phpbb doesnt have is true with the exception of AJAX ( I may have Ajax confused with something else though so dont quote me on this). However i will give phpbb3 a big edge on layout because it will feature announcements as they should be with a nice seperater as well between them and the normal topics. SMF announcements feature imo stinks. And as well phpbb3 will have moderation QUE something that isnt in smf. Yet anyways. In short if you have trouble members a admin can make it so anything they post will have to be first approved by a staff/moderator/admin whoever person. The only 2 things that i do like that smf has is quick reply ( Which will never be seen here unfortunatly) and their package manager which is for board updates/mods/and templates/skins.

Onto the part about which gets used the most often phpbb and or SMF etc. As NeoThermic correctly pointed out phpbb is the largest as far as opensource goes. However as far as just FREE goes i would have to leand my hand to smf just by the sheer amount of users they have online in a given day on their support forums amongst other things. However online users alone cannot alone say who uses what more.

And now back to the part about how long this project has taken. I'll agree that it has taken forever. However other then the answers i provided i cannot honestly say why else it has taken so long. FREE or not anyone OUTSIDE of the core group of people here will probably say that it has taken longer then needed. But something i think alot of people seem to forget ( Myself included ) is that there really no promises ever made that phpbb will or would stay ahead of everyone else. It is their project. So dont be mad at them for not getting a newer version out before anyone else. My only thing is that i wish that they would not get a bad attitude towards people when they state that it has taken to long. Allthough i do agree that a ton of people saying the same thing everyday must get old after awhile.

And lastly i believe the topic starter was referring to BETA
danb00 wrote:
What im trying to ay is phpBB should of released this public test version a year ago.

Question now.

What exactly is "soft delete"?

And seeing how i am not exactly sure what ajax is can someone explain that as well? What purpose does it serve?

Thanks.

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

Personally I feel that Olympus hasnt really failed just yet. phpBB2.x was ahead of its time by all aspects of the word. With an almost entirely new development staff since 2.x went gold (believe only Bart remains), and this is bound to affect all aspects of development, remember development isnt just sitting down writing code. Its planning, evaluting, documenting, discussing etc.. Its a lot more than you would ever think.

I think that Olympus has a place in the forum solution market as a 'pure forum solution', a forum is a place that promotes discussion and data sharing IIRC, I am sure that there is a more comprehensive definition, but this will do for now. The reason I choose phpBB2.x was because of this, not because it was free. I think that people are straying away from the concepts that phpBB is purely a free alternative to vB or IPB, (much like the mentality that Linux is better than Windows simply because its free, Linux is a completely different solution to the problem, and what is computer systems designed to do?). Its not this. And with this difference comes different goals for the project to achieve, a different path the staff are following.

I think that this attitude you are presenting here is purely because of the belief that because another product has this, phpBB must have it. As said above, this is why MODs exist.

Just my opinions on this. Yawnster

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

TwistedWeather wrote: What exactly is "soft delete"?
read: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23908&p=147420&hili ... ft#p147420
TwistedWeather wrote: And seeing how i am not exactly sure what ajax is can someone explain that as well?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29" target="_blank

search a little. :D

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

Yoda_IRC wrote:
TwistedWeather wrote: What exactly is "soft delete"?
read: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23908&p=147420&hili ... ft#p147420
TwistedWeather wrote: And seeing how i am not exactly sure what ajax is can someone explain that as well?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29" target="_blank

search a little. :D

Thanks.

Soft Delete is a nice feature that i have seen in action. I think some though has it's purpose confused here. This feature is great for whenever there may be a time that no moderators/admins are on the forum and a member posts something that they decide later to delete while said staff/mods/admins are out. So what this does is allow the admins ( Or whoever they grant the permission to) to see the topic that was deleted for those forums that allows users to delete their own topics.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

I agree it's kinda late, but hey, it does look like things are wrapping up nicely.

As much as I would love RSS, it just makes me look forward to 3.2 for that, karma, WYSIWYG, and AJAX :)

Bluetooth78

Post by Bluetooth78 »

This is all I have to say to the author of this thread is: empty barrels make alot of noise.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

I just have one thing to say, not to be mean of course. To the author of this thread:

Why don't you give it a try: Take all your free time away that you would usually spend with your family or doing recreational activities and sit in front of a computer every day including weekends for the next three years. OH and also, consider that you aren't getting paid a dime and you have to pay out of your own paycheck for website hosting, and the likes, and also for yuor own family needs. Then report back here with how far you have gotten in your quest to make a forum that can rival vBulletin, SMF, myBB, IPB, and all the rest.

Thanks!
;)

vbbgold

Post by vbbgold »

Hi,

I am a PHPBB user. Thank you for Development as well as Support Team. I am gratefull to your work.

But, there is a unrefuseable fact that the Olimpus was too late. I heard about this version 1.5 year ago. I know the work is very very complicate, but please, make Olimpus released not too late again.

This is not a complain. This is only my thinking.

Laapsaap

Post by Laapsaap »

Well I do understand the author of this thread, but I dont think Olympus already failed. That will be judged when the final version is released.

gLiTcH_

Post by gLiTcH_ »

question, late for what? :)

look at mighty phpbb.com they got no mods installed and their community is flourishing. and with the wide array of mods available. its very easy to wait :)