[Olympus] Has it failed already?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Locked
ronoxQ
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:16 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by ronoxQ » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:36 am

Look carefully at phpBB3. There are some features in it even vB doesn't have, like the level of permissions control.
Not true. I use boards of all kind - phpBB (I've used Olympus CVS AND 2.0.12), vBulletin, Invision, SMF - and their permissions levels are all equal.
phpBB3 has a modular ACP, MCP and UCP. phpBB also has EasyMod, not officially, but it works. And you're exaggerating the difficulty of installing mods.
I was NOT, however, exaggerating the length of time it takes me to install 50 mods, since I like to heavily modify core. Drupal - 5 minutes. vBulletin - 30 minutes. phpBB - 2 days (I only work about three hours a day on modding, though). EasyMod is nice, yes, but I'd rather have THAT in core, since it's something other forums are already starting to incorporate.
Sorry. You lose. You're strawmanning. The reason there is no spellchecker in phpBB is because it is impractical and takes too much server processing time. Go get your own spellchecker.
Please note: I wasn't using this to argue against EVERY phpBB person, just the fools who made spelling an issue here. It's not. I just brought up the fact that many intelligent people can't spell for beans online, or have better things to do. You haven't argued that way, so you're in the clear. ^_^

I have finals to go to, but I'll finish this later. Sorry for cutting short!

NeoThermic
Registered User
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by NeoThermic » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:24 pm

ronoxQ wrote:
Look carefully at phpBB3. There are some features in it even vB doesn't have, like the level of permissions control.
Not true. I use boards of all kind - phpBB (I've used Olympus CVS AND 2.0.12), vBulletin, Invision, SMF - and their permissions levels are all equal.
I've not used vB or IPB, but tell me where in SMF one can manage what search engines can see, without lumping their permissions in with unregisterd users? Oh, wait, you can't. How about allowing unregisterd users to post, but making it so that all their posts are in a moderation queue and won't appear on the board until accepted? Oh, I don't see that one either... Allowing users to disable word censors? Avatar settings? Allowing users to bypass the flood limit? How about private messages permissions in general? Yeah, SMF might have more verbose permissions than 2.0.x, but its missing a hell of a lot comapred to 3.0

ronoxQ wrote: phpBB - 2 days (I only work about three hours a day on modding, though). EasyMod is nice, yes, but I'd rather have THAT in core, since it's something other forums are already starting to incorporate.
Wait. This means you actually spent 6 hours on phpBB, not 2 days, which is exaggerating, which you've just said you didn't do... so which is it? EasyMOD currently is a seperate project with seperate goals and developers than the core phpBB product. However, once 3.0 is out the way, you're welcome to suggest a package manager of type for 3.2, assuming work isn't already progressing on one..

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by Highway of Life » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:56 pm

Ah... Neo beat me to it! ;)

Also, phpBB 2.0.12 does not have the kind of permission control that Olympus has.
I don't nead to mention SMF, vB does have about equal control.
IPB? I highly doubt it. I'll double check, but it would surprise me if this board had anywhere near the permissions control that vB and Olympus has.

How long have you spent working with Olympus outa curiosity?
Image

APTX
Registered User
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by APTX » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:07 pm

I have made a little test on the permissions on vB, IPB, SMF and compared it to Olympus becouse someone asked about it on this forum. To make a long story short Olympusdid best, SMF was close behind and vB and IPB were at the far end.
If you thinkthat Olympus has "similar" permissions as the last two then you don't understand how the permisssions in Olympus work... and you won't get any help on that topic either.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

TwistedWeather
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by TwistedWeather » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:41 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
ronoxQ wrote:
Look carefully at phpBB3. There are some features in it even vB doesn't have, like the level of permissions control.
Not true. I use boards of all kind - phpBB (I've used Olympus CVS AND 2.0.12), vBulletin, Invision, SMF - and their permissions levels are all equal.
I've not used vB or IPB, but tell me where in SMF one can manage what search engines can see, without lumping their permissions in with unregisterd users? Oh, wait, you can't. How about allowing unregisterd users to post, but making it so that all their posts are in a moderation queue and won't appear on the board until accepted? Oh, I don't see that one either... Allowing users to disable word censors? Avatar settings? Allowing users to bypass the flood limit? How about private messages permissions in general? Yeah, SMF might have more verbose permissions than 2.0.x, but its missing a hell of a lot comapred to 3.0

ronoxQ wrote: phpBB - 2 days (I only work about three hours a day on modding, though). EasyMod is nice, yes, but I'd rather have THAT in core, since it's something other forums are already starting to incorporate.
Wait. This means you actually spent 6 hours on phpBB, not 2 days, which is exaggerating, which you've just said you didn't do... so which is it? EasyMOD currently is a seperate project with seperate goals and developers than the core phpBB product. However, once 3.0 is out the way, you're welcome to suggest a package manager of type for 3.2, assuming work isn't already progressing on one..

NeoThermic
Not all mod's are easy to install be it phpbb, IPB or VB. Unlike most here i have used all of them and STILL run with current versions to all except VB recently. Yes that includes phpbb, SMF, IPB. SMF is the only one who has that package manager. So dont let anyone say otherwise. Other then that i agree with you. I however dont believe there was many request for a package manager when the request were being taking here. Probably why that didnt make it in. Hopefully for the next release it can be. Oh and other then the search engine spider stuff, Moderation que, and word censor stuff smf does have the rest. However they ( Nor anyone else ) wont have one of my fav's which will be the group indicator on the who is online. :mrgreen:
APTX
Post subject: Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

I have made a little test on the permissions on vB, IPB, SMF and compared it to Olympus becouse someone asked about it on this forum. To make a long story short Olympusdid best, SMF was close behind and vB and IPB were at the far end.
If you thinkthat Olympus has "similar" permissions as the last two then you don't understand how the permisssions in Olympus work... and you won't get any help on that topic either.

Posted: June 9, 2006, 10:07 am
You obviously dont know how IPB's works as well. ( The rest i agree with) Both IPB and Olympus are the same. Just gotta know your way around them is all.

APTX
Registered User
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by APTX » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:51 pm

TwistedWeather wrote: You obviously dont know how IPB's works as well. ( The rest i agree with) Both IPB and Olympus are the same. Just gotta know your way around them is all.
If this was directed at me then I can only tell you the same. I don't know with what you agree becouse I never said that "IPB and Olympus are the same".
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

gLiTcH_
Registered User
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:45 am

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by gLiTcH_ » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:05 pm

I honestly dont understand why people have to keep comparing boards like this. If you guys don't like phpBB and think others are better, then use them, thats the whole point of their existance. It sounds as if you are all trying to convince other people to change. :lol: It so happens there are a huge amount of phpBB lovers. To all those who don't like the development process, better fork it or change BBS. :) Not so hard I guess right? Or am I missing something. hope no flames'll cometh.

TwistedWeather
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by TwistedWeather » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:19 pm

APTX wrote:
TwistedWeather wrote: You obviously dont know how IPB's works as well. ( The rest i agree with) Both IPB and Olympus are the same. Just gotta know your way around them is all.
If this was directed at me then I can only tell you the same. I don't know with what you agree becouse I never said that "IPB and Olympus are the same".
I agreed on the part about the OTHERS not having them. ;)

And sorry but you are wrong. I have and DO continue to work with both IPB and this that are UP TO DATE. Both permission systems can do the same. Tell me ONE THING that cant be done in IPB that can be done with this permission system?
I dont understand the need for people to wanna stretch the truth.
IMHO each software has it's own advantages and disadvantages compared to others. Well except for vb who i never cared for anyways. Ugly OVER PRICED system imo. I think they only do so well because of those who think paying that kind of money makes for a better product which is wrong.

Yeah even as harsh as i may come across to the developers etc phpbb3 IMO will be a better product then the rest INCLUDING the pay for ones. And remember this is comming from someone who is testing ALL of the major players.

TwistedWeather
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by TwistedWeather » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:22 pm

gLiTcH_ wrote: I honestly dont understand why people have to keep comparing boards like this. If you guys don't like phpBB and think others are better, then use them, thats the whole point of their existance. It sounds as if you are all trying to convince other people to change. :lol: It so happens there are a huge amount of phpBB lovers. To all those who don't like the development process, better fork it or change BBS. :) Not so hard I guess right? Or am I missing something. hope no flames'll cometh.
My only problem is when people try to mislead etc. The only thing i dont care for is the phpbb2 series and i dont use it anymore. However as said above the same cannot be said for phpbb3. ;)

APTX
Registered User
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by APTX » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:34 pm

To name a few:
- Set permissions for users directly not only these permission masks (You can't have users outside of any group). BTW if you actually decide to give a user their own permission mask they loose their group permission masks.
- Have restrictive group permissions (If a user is in a group he is denied something not allowed) According to IPB's comment the secondary groups (Group memberships aren't treated equally) can only give better permissions.

I used the IPB demo on the IPB site. If it's not up to date than hate the IPB devs.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Locked