[Olympus] Has it failed already?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Locked
SamG
Registered User
Posts: 1241
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:35 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by SamG » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:58 pm

TwistedWeather wrote: And btw in the future UNLESS your a actuall DEVELOPER and or on the staff LET THEM ANSWER for themselves when issues like this gets brought up.

Thanks.
No thanks. If I and anybody else feel like replying, so long as we abide by the rules of common courtesy and area51, we're free to reply. Just because you call that "sucking up" doesn't make it so, and you aren't in a position to dictate to the contrary.

NeoThermic
Registered User
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by NeoThermic » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:02 pm

ronoxQ wrote: Then I'd say that ACCEPTING donations would be the next obvious step. It doesn't *beep* us off, you know, and it will help you.
And then we let everyone and their dogs who have donated demand features. Not going to happen. It's bad enough that everyone is demaning of us already, even without donations.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

User avatar
psi29a
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by psi29a » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:13 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
ronoxQ wrote: Then I'd say that ACCEPTING donations would be the next obvious step. It doesn't *beep* us off, you know, and it will help you.
And then we let everyone and their dogs who have donated demand features. Not going to happen.

NeoThermic
Common sense has triumphed again.
Image

Yawnster
Registered User
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:18 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by Yawnster » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:38 pm

I think that this all boils down to what each user expects to see as a part of the core package. Personally I feel that Olympus is just about setup as the benchmark for what I would expect in a modern forum package, minus the obvious extras that the CCP's are providing, (I only actually agree with the introduction of around 4 of the projects, but stick and stones..).

I think that people here who are showing a negative attitude towards Olympus are showing their ignorance in that they cannot see a package that is designed to be modular, designed to be customisable. There is a very good reason a lot of features are not included, its because the developers know that there will be simple modifications made for them if there is real demand.

I think you shouldnt be focussing in on whats not included, but focussing in on the massive advances between the two versions. I want you to think about each feature on the list and decide whether or not 70% or more of the users will actually use it. Personally I can only see 1 feature that wont, the advanced UserCP controls. (PM Sorting, Friends/foes). But then again I have never owned/moderated a large board, thus I can forgive this as I can see its a valid introduction :P..

I think you need to think about exactly what a forum is, its not a chat program, not a blog, not a gallery. It's a place for sharing information, sharing well thought-out information that is indexed and is usually kept for all to see, kept for others to find at a later date, there are many other solutions if you want quick information. IRC for example. It was built purely for that.

I dont really know what else I can say apart from this. Yawnster

User avatar
XIII
Registered User
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 10:37 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by XIII » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:49 pm

^ I don't know about your definition of forum, I think that if anything the web has proven time and time again that it's dynamic in how technologies and ways of communicating develop.

I do agree with the negative attitude. I've never really understood the point of it. If you're that bothered that project X doesn't have features project Y has... use project Y.
I'm still pleased as punch with phpBB after 5 years or so. Yes, RSS would be nice, but no one could have anticipated its development when Olympus plans were first put on the table.
So I'll just be patiently waiting for the first RC, or even the first beta, and switch. And then wait patiently some more because 99% of the features people are whining about will get released sooner or later as a mod. And if later is too late for them... pick up a php book and learn something.
:)

TwistedWeather
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by TwistedWeather » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:02 pm

XIII wrote: ^ I don't know about your definition of forum, I think that if anything the web has proven time and time again that it's dynamic in how technologies and ways of communicating develop.

I do agree with the negative attitude. I've never really understood the point of it. If you're that bothered that project X doesn't have features project Y has... use project Y.
I'm still pleased as punch with phpBB after 5 years or so. Yes, RSS would be nice, but no one could have anticipated its development when Olympus plans were first put on the table.
So I'll just be patiently waiting for the first RC, or even the first beta, and switch. And then wait patiently some more because 99% of the features people are whining about will get released sooner or later as a mod. And if later is too late for them... pick up a php book and learn something.
:)
You and the other few like yourself seem to forget that NOT everyone has all the time in a day to be adding mod's to our forums. And sorry i still consider having to many is a security risk.

SamG
Registered User
Posts: 1241
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:35 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by SamG » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:11 pm

Then the stable core, culitvate modifications approach that has been fundamental to phpBB design philosophy for most of its life isn't your cup of tea. It's really that simple.

TwistedWeather
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by TwistedWeather » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:13 pm

SamG wrote: Then the stable core, culitvate modifications approach that has been fundamental to phpBB design philosophy for most of its life isn't your cup of tea. It's really that simple.
Perhaps it isnt yours and the FEW like you. Perhaps it's time they stop being held back by the few like you.

SamG
Registered User
Posts: 1241
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:35 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by SamG » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:15 pm

:lol: Are you seriously suggesting that a few of us made up this design philosophy and have somehow managed to restrain a few generations of phpBB developers to it?

C'mon. Let's be reasonable.

TwistedWeather
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by TwistedWeather » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:06 pm

SamG wrote: :lol: Are you seriously suggesting that a few of us made up this design philosophy and have somehow managed to restrain a few generations of phpBB developers to it?

C'mon. Let's be reasonable.
Dont even attempt that with me. It's the same VERY OUTSPOAKEN few who keep up with the same thing and wanting to keep phpbb is the dark ages. The difference is you all like to play gang up to make it seem like the majority has spoaken. That doesnt work with me. Something i hope you take notice of as well. As i will be here as a reminder everytime the same few of you try this stunt. Infact i plan on linking it all to prove my point about who is the majority and who isnt.

Locked