AJAX in Olympus?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ronoxQ

Re: AJAX in Olympus?

Post by ronoxQ »

All current browsers support AJAX, fyi. It's why so many CMSes and forums use it, now: there's no disadvantages.

psi29a

Post by psi29a »

ronoxQ wrote: All current browsers support AJAX, fyi. It's why so many CMSes and forums use it, now: there's no disadvantages.
You are quite wrong on the 'no disadvantages'. Javascript is not equal on all/any browsers, for example the same code used on IE will not function well on Firefox, will eat up near 100% CPU time on Opera.

Educate yourself: Wikipedia

example:
Using Ajax technologies in web applications provides many challenges for developers interested in adhering to WAI accessibility guidelines. In addition there are numerous development groups working on government projects which require strict adherence to Section 508 Compliance standards. Failure to comply with these standards can often lead to cancellation of contracts or lawsuits intended to ensure compliance.

Because of this, developers need to provide fallback options for users on other platforms or browsers, as most methods of Ajax implementation rely on features only present in desktop graphical browsers.

Web developers use Ajax in some instances to provide content only to specific portions of a web page, allowing data manipulation without incurring the cost of re-rendering the entire page in the web browser. Non-Ajax users would ideally continue to load and manipulate the whole page as a fallback, allowing the developers to preserve the experience of users in non-Ajax environments (including all relevant accessibility concerns) while giving those with capable browsers a much more responsive experience.

As a web-developer (one of many hats I wear), I've had to walk a fine line when implementing AJAX. It is trivial to *beep*-up really badly. AJAX solves a lot of problems, however a lot of the effects you see on those CMS and Forums are javascript effects, and not AJAX.

ronoxQ

Post by ronoxQ »

My point is, at least AJAX works on all browsers. And phpBB could do what vB does, and let forum owners chose whether or not to degrade AJAX for different browsers.

I use Fx, so I know how slow it can get. ^_^

psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Problem is that 'My point is, at least AJAX works on all browsers.' is flat out wrong. Javascript is a big component of AJAX, and each browser's implimentation of javascript is different. More importantly, J in AJAX stands for javascript. Another problem is that all browsers do not support AJAX, this is important because it only takes one browser (I'll use Lynx as an example) to prove your inclusive statement wrong.

AJAX is useful, but it must be tempered and thought out carefully before thrown into a project at the planning stages. Doing so nearing the end of it's development cycle is insane and goes against everything that is tought to a software engineer.

ronoxQ

Post by ronoxQ »

Well, duh. My problem is that it wasn't in to begin with. phpBB is getting behind the times REALLY fast, and the lack of AJAX makes things worse, not better.

el noobe

Post by el noobe »

I wasn't sure - and therefore I asked this question - if the devs don't want to implement AJAX into phpBB because of the different JavaScript interpretations of each browser or if simply no one had the idea to use AJAX in phpBB (officially, not as a MOD), yet.
el noobe

psi29a

Post by psi29a »

It has been said already but it bears repeating:

AJAX came into it's own around a year ago, after the project was underway and feature request was closed. In a development cycle, you do not add features while underway.

Yes, development has taken longer than expected but that doesn't mean phpBB devs have to deviate from their plan, otherwise the development would take even longer and make the final release further down the line.

Now, if you think that development is too then you free to join in and help out.

SamG

Post by SamG »

ronoxQ wrote: Well, duh. My problem is that it wasn't in to begin with. phpBB is getting behind the times REALLY fast, and the lack of AJAX makes things worse, not better.
Every time I hear this line of argument, I feel entitled to say stuff like, "Well, duh, if we could just get Firefox to be more like Netscape, and Thunderbird to be more like Outlook, the open source world would finally be caught up!"

But that's obviously a silly thing to say -- isn't it?

ronoxQ

Post by ronoxQ »

psi29a wrote: It has been said already but it bears repeating:

AJAX came into it's own around a year ago, after the project was underway and feature request was closed. In a development cycle, you do not add features while underway.

Yes, development has taken longer than expected but that doesn't mean phpBB devs have to deviate from their plan, otherwise the development would take even longer and make the final release further down the line.

Now, if you think that development is too then you free to join in and help out.
Ah, but there's the catch: I'm better off working for vBulletin, since for thm I get to make NEW stuff. The farther back phpBB gets the slower they get.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

If you think that olympus is behind the times, feel free to change to IPB or vBulletin, which are ahead of the times. ;) If you don't like phpBB, you don't have to be sour about it! :)