Topic deletion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Topic deletion

Post by Highway of Life »

True, then you would not need an extra function. phpBB3 can do that right now.
But in the same right, someone could accidently leave a staff forum viewable to guests.

I still am going to create a Mod for it. :D
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I was thinking more in terms of software development (both core phpBB and mods). Anyone going to use data from the topics table will have to take the deleted flag into account, and if they don't, deleted topics magically re-appear. Just something to take into account when making a choice, not a be-all end-all reason for not doing it that way.
Highway of Life

OH! I misunderstood then.
code reader

Post by code reader »

when discussing the proposal to add a "deleted" column to the posts table,
Eelke wrote: Sure, that would be the most obvious way to implement this, I suppose. Only risk is that if you're not careful, someone somewhere might accidentally display "deleted" topics simply because they do not take that flag into account. So maybe from that POV, it's safer to move the deleted topics into a separate table.
the same issue exists today with regards to the "post_approved" flag, so, if someone just go over the posts table, displaying everything and ignoring flags, they will see the "unapproved/pre-approved" posts.
one way of handling it, is instead of adding a column to the table, expanding the "post_approved" column to become "post_status". then, if you want to use a bitfield (not the best solution imo), you could add stuff like lock (which use a separate column now), or, if you prefer to work with enums (i do, usually), a post will have a status of one of:
pre_approved
unapproved
approved
deleted

and normally, only posts with approved status should be displayed.
Highway of Life

There you go, that's what I had in mind! :D

I'll make it a MOD ASAP
Lastof

Post by Lastof »

I'm not sure that we should modify existing fields, and think it would be better to add a new one.

Why I hear you ask. Well, I think there is a lesson to be learnt from the difficulties that some are going to have upgrading to olympus if they use mods that change the usage of existing fields, with the upgrade script not being able to understand some data it is presented. However, if instead a new field has been used, it should just ignore the unwanted data.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"
anfieldadorer

Post by anfieldadorer »

sorry if this has been done for thousand times
but i have accidentally deleted very important threads (through feature: delete when no reply after xxx days) that are important for many people :cry:
i use phpbb version 2
just in case any way to revive them
helps are very much appreciated
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

As there is no soft delete in phpBB3 (the subject of this discussion), deleted means deleted. It's safer to make it a habit to not delete but move to a hidden "Trashcan" forum instead (as suggested in this thread as well).

As it seems you're not doing that and actually deleted the topic, your only option is to retrieve the topics from a backup. If you don't have a backup, find a corner, cry and return to what you were doing...
Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Get in contact with your host asap, because they will hopefully have a backup.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"
jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

I'm no expert with the phpbb3 backend, but would it really be much harder than simply adding a new status to the first post in the topic. Currently there are drafts and published pieces, why not just "deleted" as a status -- they only show up when a user with proper permissions loads the topic list and it preserves everything else about the post/topic.

Honestly, I don't see this being that difficult to implement, but as I said before, god only knows what the backend looks like.

Then again, a module based "plugin" system and a nice API documentation would make this a trivial thing for anyone to add. Seriously, who likes entering in MODs by hand? Really, I'm shocked that phpbb3 will get as much market share as it will based on that fact. If Drupal and the like ever get their forum acts together... well... who knows...