Custom profile fields

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Timmer

Custom profile fields

Post by Timmer »

When the time comes to switch to Olympus I will be adding a custom profile field for real name. This field will be required for all users.

My question: When I upgrade from phpBB 2.0.20 to Olympus will there be a provision to require previously existing users to complete the new field?

Thanks.
I got a postcard from my friend George. It was a satellite photo of the entire Earth. On the back he wrote, "Wish you were here."

ElbertF

Re: Custom profile fields

Post by ElbertF »

I don't think so.. Maybe when they edit their profiles they're required to complete it before submitting their changes.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Exactly as SB said.

There really are only two ways.

1) Make them re-register
2) When they modify their UCP, it could be a required field before any changes could be saved.

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

cool - i wanted to know this too

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

Just put everyone into a usergroup that has no posting access. Tell them to PM you once they put their name there; you check to make sure it is a real name. If it is, move them into a usergroup with posting rights like a normal registered user... best way I can think of. :P ;)

-Yaggles

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

or, more sensibly, modify the code so that if someone logs in they are taken to their profile page and not permitted access to the rest of the forums (or limited to guest access) until they enter the fields and click save. Not sure what phpBB3 actually does, will check some other time.

Putting them into a group and changing them back by hand would be hell on a large forum.

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

Yoda_IRC wrote: ... Putting them into a group and changing them back by hand would be hell on a large forum.
Yes. TooToo mucho overhead to do it by hand. For mine, if the phpbb3 user is registered with the phpbb2 at changeover, then I'll just make a general announcement for users to update their profile.

I do like the idea when a user logs in of checking the phpbb3 db for missing required fields and then doing redirection to the users' [Profile].

Timmer

Post by Timmer »

robertmf wrote: I do like the idea when a user logs in of checking the phpbb3 db for missing required fields and then doing redirection to the users' [Profile].
That's what I was thinking, too. There should be a routine check of all "required" fields upon login. That automatically solves this problem. :)
I got a postcard from my friend George. It was a satellite photo of the entire Earth. On the back he wrote, "Wish you were here."

marosell

Post by marosell »

will there be a way to restrict forum access to a value set in a custom field? for instance, can the "donuts only!" be restricted to only the users that have "i like donuts" custom field boolean selected?

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

marosell wrote: will there be a way to restrict forum access to a value set in a custom field? for instance, can the "donuts only!" be restricted to only the users that have "i like donuts" custom field boolean selected?
That's more [Permissions] settings.