Beta Download Mirrors

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
stubbers

Beta Download Mirrors

Post by stubbers »

Hi,
I had a thought! A really good thought... In order to give sourceforge a break and stop their servers from experiencing a possible meltdown when 3.0 is released (and when it goes to beta). Maybe a few people could voulenteer their bandwidth to make the download process a little more streamlined.

A download page could be set up here (area 51 for the beta) the just randomly chooses from a list of people who have voulenteered their bandwidth.

I for one am nowhere near using my bandwidth capacity and would like to voulenteer my site as a mirror.

Cheers,
Stubbers

And let me know what you think!

SamG

Re: Beta Download Mirrors

Post by SamG »

I'm not sure if it's that'd be necessary or not, but if it'd help, I'd also be interested in hearing what the teams think about that.

WeAz

Post by WeAz »

My guess would be that Sourceforge (being ripe with mirrors from other companies and considering the amount of traffic they get every day) won't need any help from the community. I would also assume that less people who download your general phpBB 2.0.x patch will download the beta considering that it's, well, just a beta (and Sourceforge seems to hold up fine whenever a new patch is released).

-WeAz

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

Meh, just a suggestion. Just temporary to spare sourceforge the original flood upon release (and possibly beta)...

Cheers

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Releases are already mirrored "outside SF" by way of having it locally on the phpBB.com server, which is now hosted at OSUOSL. If phpBB3.0.0 has the potential of being an Internet-backbone-meltdown-causing release, I guess we could entertain the idea of having the release available via a .torrent...
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

SamG

Post by SamG »

I guess I was just remembering (or at least thinking I was remembering :oops: ) long lines at the checkout when v2 was released.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

Isn't sourceforge nothing but mirrors? I always click on one of the university download links like Indiana U.

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

Not sure how happy I'd be downloading it from someone's own web server to be honest, how do you know they haven't put some back-door access code in it before making it available?

Or am I just too suspicious? :?

SamG

Post by SamG »

I don't think you can be too suspicious in a case like that. We'd just have to assume that the teams wouldn't allow a mirror they didn't trust.

Jon is probably right as to the need, in any case.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I can't really imagine that a phpBB release is going to take down sourceforge, let alone the tens of mirrors is stores files on.

Nice idea, but unecassary, I think.