Beta Download Mirrors

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SamG

Re: Beta Download Mirrors

Post by SamG »

Well, as I remember it (gets out a grain of salt), because so many people were just sitting there watching the counter leading up to phpBB 2 release, it was the amount of initial demand, all at once, that led to problems.

Anyway, things are different now and likely even if I do actually remember it right, it may not be an issue this time around. And if it is, what's another few hours wait gonna matter? :mrgreen:

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

Meh, I'll be downloading it as soon as I can and then I will be uploading the file to my site so people will be able to get it as soon as I have... And my server isn't going to run out of bandwidth!! :lol:

Anyway, it was just a suggestion. I don't know how crazy it's going to be. However it will be fun to see how many people download it in the first couple of hours!

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

A Australian mirror would be nice. Optus killed their Sourceforge mirror. :(

Would be cool if phpBB 3 killed the backbones. :lol:

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

I noticed that I kept having to go to Asia or America... Bugger, I would be an aussie mirror, just temporarily (for phpBB3). My site is hosted in Canberra.

Cheers,
Stubbers

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

I've got servers in Brisbane connected to PIPE. :)

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

asmith3006 wrote: Not sure how happy I'd be downloading it from someone's own web server to be honest, how do you know they haven't put some back-door access code in it before making it available?
The developers could digitally sign the file, and publish the public key on phpbb.com, area51.phpbb.com, and on mailling lists and key servers, but thats only really for security paranoid people.

They could provide secure hashes of the file and publish thoose on phpbb.com so phpbb.com only gets hits for a small file but gets the security of having the full file there.

Oh and about the commet about only trusted people would be mirroring anyway, they may trust them not to tamper with it themselves but you also have to trust that they have a reasonable level of secuirty on there machine. For instance they may be dumb enough to run Telnet and login as root, they may not tamper with the file but anyone with a packet sniffer might (provided the packets went passed them, but with wifi nowardays its possible).

SFs mirrors can probably handle it, they have 14 mirrors and some are from pretty major places like universities

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Aye. If new releases from high-popularity Linux distros can't take down the mirror system, phpBB isn't going to do much, either.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

CyberMartyr

Post by CyberMartyr »

PM me if you need a mirror, I've got space and bandwidth.

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

i do to (pm me also if needed)
Unlimited MB - space
20000 MB - bandwidth (not even used 2% for this month)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

RBH

Post by RBH »

Alert the mailing list a day after posting here. That way all those who went away thinking Olympus was a myth and those who still keep an eye on area51 won't be hitting the server simultaneously.