2 questions about Olympus

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
flash cash

2 questions about Olympus

Post by flash cash »

I have 2 questions regarding Olympus.
Firstly, where can I download Olympus?
Secondly, does Olympus have ranks?

Rotsblok

Re: 2 questions about Olympus

Post by Rotsblok »

a few anwsers:

1. one word CVS (try the search in this board (maybe you will find something :twisted: )
2. yes
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

well CVS isn't actually a word, it's an acronym which represents three words :p

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

NNO-Stephen wrote: well CVS isn't actually a word, it's an acronym which represents three words :p
Its actually more of an abbrevation unless you say it all in one word :P

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

kinda like lascivious except without the las :D

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

Yawnster wrote:
NNO-Stephen wrote: well CVS isn't actually a word, it's an acronym which represents three words :p
Its actually more of an abbrevation unless you say it all in one word :P
According to my PCs dictionary:
acronym
<jargon> An identifier formed from some of the letters (often
the initials) of a phrase and used as an abbreviation.
So it doesn't need to be a pronounceable word to be an acronym, so aslong as the letters CVS stand for something then its an ancronym (and also an abreiviation), and it stands for: Concurrent Versions System (according to man cvs)

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

flash cash wrote: I have 2 questions regarding Olympus.
Firstly, where can I download Olympus?
Secondly, does Olympus have ranks?
use search.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Yoda_IRC wrote: So it doesn't need to be a pronounceable word to be an acronym, so aslong as the letters CVS stand for something then its an ancronym (and also an abreiviation), and it stands for: Concurrent Versions System (according to man cvs)
Google Definitions disagrees. A series of letters removed from a phrase and used to represent the phrase is an abbreviation. If it forms a word, it's an acronym. All acronyms are abbreviations, but not all abbreviations are acronyms.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

APTX

Post by APTX »

http://www.dictionary.com" target="_blank Try these :)
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

I'm afraid google is right, Bloomsbury World English says
WORDKEY:USAGENOTE
Types of abbreviation : There are four main kinds of abbreviation: shortenings, contractions, initialisms, and acronyms. 1 Shortenings of words usually consist of the first few letters of the full form and are sometimes spelt with a final full stop when they are still regarded as abbreviations, for example cent. = century, foll. = following (in page references). In many cases they form words in their own right, and in these cases the full stop is omitted, for example gym = gymnasium, hippo = hippopotamus. Such shortenings are often but not always informal in nature. Some become the standard forms, and the full forms are then regarded as formal or technical, for example bus = omnibus, phone = telephone, pub = public house, zoo = zoological garden. 2 Contractions are abbreviated forms in which letters from the middle of the full form have been omitted, for example Dr = doctor, St = saint. Practice varies with regard to adding a full stop, but in modern usage it is increasingly usual to omit it. Another kind of contraction is the type can’t = cannot, didn’t = did not, you’ve = you have, with an apostrophe marking the omission of letters. 3 Initialisms are made up of the initial letters of words and are pronounced as separate letters: CIA (or C.I.A.), pm (or p.m.), US (or US). Practice again varies with regard to full stops, with current usage increasingly in favour of omitting them, especially when the initialism consists entirely of capital letters. 4 Acronyms are initialisms that have become words in their own right, and are pronounced as words rather than as a series of letters, for example Aids, laser, scuba, UNESCO. In many cases the acronym becomes the standard term and the full form is only used in explanatory contexts.

Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999, 2000 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio