Supports 4.3.2 fine

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
katsarts

Supports 4.3.2 fine

Post by katsarts »

Okay, my server has a ever so slightly lower php version then what is required a diference of 0.0.1

Required: 4.3.3
Have: 4.3.2

Okay hope you got that, well any way I changed the requirement in the installer and then I ran through it and it installs and works fine so far. If I find any bugs, first I will fix them. Anyway, it works and there are not big sprawling errors anywhere. So heads up, the latest CVS works with PHP 4.3.2
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
All of my Base are belong to you.

Yawnster

Re: Supports 4.3.2 fine

Post by Yawnster »

Hmmm there is a minimum requirement for a reason.. There will be something that will not work as intended.. My guess is a Regular Expression as the OFFSET paramater was added in 4.3.3 IIRC and I could hazard a guess that David will have rewritten at least one the of expressions to use it..

Yawnster

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

PHP4.3.3 was released in Autumn 2003, with the current 4.x release being 4.4.2. Even Debian, which is "notorious" for having very "old" (though rock solid stable) versions of anything, has PHP4.3.10 now.

Whilst phpBB3 CVS is unsupported anyway, come final release, running on anything older than PHP4.3.3 may work, it may also be horribly broken. Basically, YMMV and running it on such installations would be unsupported.

Hosting is a commodity these days anyway... either prod your host to upgrade (assuming you don't have access to do so yourself), or just move to somewhere else which has more up to date versions of things.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

katsarts

Post by katsarts »

Hmm only real annoyance I can point out at this point is that it won't let me into the admin board, but that might just be the combo of the CVS oddities and Opera 9.0 Beta i'm using.

*checks using internet explorer*

Nope seems like it doesn't work there either, hmm. Either its the php or its the CVS(I vote cvs, but thats me)

:D

katsarts

Post by katsarts »

Well, it was a problem with the admin verification. I verified this by deactivating that 4 lines of code. Is okay since its just a test board.

hmm, bug as probably already been reported so, I have nothing to worry about. ;)

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

katsarts wrote: ...I have nothing to worry about. ;)
Apart for the fact that when v3 is beta/rc/gold you will get no offical support ;)

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Yawnster wrote: Hmmm there is a minimum requirement for a reason.. There will be something that will not work as intended..
First part, completely agreed. Second part, not necesarrily. As SHS implies, the reason (I would imagine) is that the developers should just have some kind of benchmark to work from. They are "guaranteeing", or at least have comitted themselves to making the software work with the minimally required version of PHP. Anything below it, and you're on your own.

They probably chose the particular version for a reason, because it has some change that they either are using, anticipate will be using, or even think is "nice to have", should they every choose to use it in the future. But that is really beside the point. The point is, they have somewhere to point to when someone complains it's not working on their version of PHP (unless of course it's above the minimum requirement, in which case it's need to be fixed ;))

ve4jhj

Post by ve4jhj »

poyntesm wrote: Apart for the fact that when v3 is beta/rc/gold you will get no offical support ;)
You're wrong about that...when it's in this stage of development it won't get any support, but once it goes into beta, the developers may decide to offer support, and more than likely will when it reaches RC. As for gold, I guarantee they'll offer support.
NO PM or IM support offered!!
thank you!

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

ve4jhj: You did get he was talking about not getting support* when you're running the software on an older, unsupported PHP, right? Because I would otherwise wonder why they'd put in a minimal version requirement :)

*: Well, at least not getting bugs fixed, since you don't get garanteed support anyway, and someone might just answer your questions without taking regard to the version.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

Just because it works on 4.3.2 now does not mean it will work on 3.0.1 or 3.0.2. By having the minumum supported pre-determined they won't have to deal with people later complaining they had to up the minimum requirements. Boxing yourself in with legacy support should be avoided whenever possible.