Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TwistedWeather

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by TwistedWeather »

APTX wrote: TwistedWeather, why didn't YOU test it long ago?
I dont have sqlite. Plus i did try to download and was gonna try and test it myself but failed miserably. Believe me i wanted to.

Paul Online
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

TwistedWeather wrote:
paulus wrote: Whats more important, a (most) bugfree release, or a fast, with many bugs, release? ;).
I install not works, and db restore, I think its better to wait and fix. If you want a release, I don't submit bugs now, but you has a release with bugs ;)
Not the point i was making. Someone should have been on this LONG AGO and not waited till today. Sorry but this is very upsetting and disapointing for obvious reasons.
Maybe some has tested it long ago, and confirmed working. Long ago search works, after that search don't works, now search works. People are working on it, and they can make something broken. I don't now how long this things are in it :)
TwistedWeather wrote:
APTX wrote: TwistedWeather, why didn't YOU test it long ago?
I dont have sqlite. Plus i did try to download and was gonna try and test it myself but failed miserably. Believe me i wanted to.
Do you have php5? Then you have(I believe, not 100% sure) sqlite :)

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

sqlite is tested by david - the last time yesterday, installation too. :) Seems to be bugs related to another sqlite version or having to do with other circumstances... we'll see.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

spambot wrote: Someone should have.. I didn't see you grab a CVS and test it out. Beta hasn't even been released, it's still in :arrow: DEVELOPMENT.

:|
I know it hasnt been released and is EXACTLY why i am saying what i have been about this latest issue with sqlite.

And as said i did grab a CVS copy and was gonna test it but i failed and as stated on this forum there is no support for cvs. So i didnt bother anymore.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

Acyd Burn wrote: sqlite is tested by david - the last time yesterday, installation too. :) Seems to be bugs related to another sqlite version or having to do with other circumstances... we'll see.
Thanks for that update on this! :D

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

And again to all of you that cant read:
Lieutenant Clone wrote: you are fogetting we are talking about releasing BETA not the final software. Like come on, save a couple of bugs for the BETA :lol: .
BETA != bug free, just like someone else here was explaining several times, it means feature complete and no show stopper bugs.
Dennis Robinson

Paul Online

Post by Paul »

Read the latest checkins 8) :lol:
Modified Files:
common.php
Log Message:
hey dev team mates, here are the brand new beta checkins (as promised). Please ensure this stays in our private cvs until the 23rd June, except the bug fixes.

Index: common.php
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/phpbb/phpBB2/common.php,v
retrieving revision 1.192
retrieving revision 1.193
diff -C2 -d -r1.192 -r1.193
*** common.php 14 Jun 2006 18:59:11 -0000 1.192
--- common.php 17 Jun 2006 20:28:38 -0000 1.193
*** 10,17 ****
*/

- // Remove the following line to enable this software, be sure you note what it
- // says before continuing
- die('This software is unsupported in any and all respects. By removing this notice (found in common.php) you are noting your acceptance of this. Do not ask support questions of any kind for this release at either area51.phpbb.com or http://www.phpbb.com." target="_blank Support for this version will appear when the beta cycle begins');
-
/**
*/
--- 10,13 ----
*** 171,177 ****

// Warn about install/ directory
! if (file_exists('install'))
{
! // trigger_error('REMOVE_INSTALL');
}

--- 167,173 ----

// Warn about install/ directory
! if (file_exists($phpbb_root_path . 'install'))
{
! trigger_error('REMOVE_INSTALL');
}

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Comments are now
All Mighty Acyd Burn wrote: hey dev team mates, here are the brand new beta checkins (as promised). Please ensure this stays in our private cvs until the 23rd June, except the bug fixes.
and
All Mighty Acyd Burn wrote: I missed the version change. Anyone knows what is with the private checkin list? I seem to get no mails - it used to be fast.
Frankly, I think it's very delibrite, rather than a mistake. A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: And again to all of you that cant read:
Lieutenant Clone wrote: you are fogetting we are talking about releasing BETA not the final software. Like come on, save a couple of bugs for the BETA :lol: .
BETA != bug free, just like someone else here was explaining several times, it means feature complete and no show stopper bugs.
And who determines what is and what is not a show-stopper bug is the development team... you know... the people who are actually developing the software. Not someone <name withheld> who is SHOUTING for the beta to be released on some arbitrary calendar date, and is now DEMANDING explanations why this-or-that was not done.

Furthermore, the developers have made a commitment to SUPPORTING the beta version to some extent. Does anyone here think that they would want to create headaches for themselves by releasing it before they're actually ready to do so, just because someone is throwing a tantrum about it?

So... now that the anniversary date of this project has come and gone, what's next? Speculation about a release date which is based on astrological significance?

Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

*has a look if it is the 1st of April* hm. no not on planet earth :).

This makes me really happy.

Happy birthday :D
May /dev/null be with you!