Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
NNO-Stephen

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by NNO-Stephen »

stubbers wrote: LOL... I still fail to see why anyone would want to use HTML... BB Code is flexible enough to run as a forum!
sure, but not for the thing that's queuing the forum, unless you go through all the trouble of queuing the BBCode parser and all that, which can break with version updates and all that, whereas HTML is HTML and you don't have to que anything except the database.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I agree, it should work.
Hopefully the Dev team will see it as a bug also.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Highway of Life wrote: I agree, it should work.
Hopefully the Dev team will see it as a bug also.
fat chance of that happening...

Graham

Post by Graham »

We will not be adding support for posting HTML back into the code, full stop.

It has been removed as there is no way HTML can be 100% secured without affecting other things. 3.0 has the ability to add custom bbcode tags which eliminates any need for HTML.

If you really feel the need to use HTML then you will get no support for doing so, on the other hand if you want to use the BBCode parser, I'm sure the MOD team will produce some documentation on how to do so at a later date.

And on the COPPA point - COPPA is still a requirement for forums in the US, as someone else pointed out it is COPA (something else entirely despite the similar name) which got thrown out.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Graham wrote: And on the COPPA point - COPPA is still a requirement for forums in the US, as someone else pointed out it is COPA (something else entirely despite the similar name) which got thrown out.
I was under the impression that it was only a requirement if your forum was specifically targeted at users aged under 13?

LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

HTML is totaly unnecessary because you can do everything with desing using only CSS. And to use it in phpBB you must only create 1 custom BBCode tag - [style="{TEXT1}"]{TEXT2}[/style], which will be replaced to <div style="{TEXT1}">{TEXT2}</div>
phpBB3.pl - user-friendly Polish phpBB3 support

Highway of Life

Graham,

Thanks for the response.
I do like the fact that BBCode is so much more useful without being vulnerable.

Lew,
That code that you posted is vulnerable to abuse, as Spambot pointed out. He did some pretty good abuse of my board. :D
Then again, it was not destructive, but it was annoying, something a MOD or Admin would have an easy time editing his post, and taking out that code, then warning him, then banning him!!! ;)
You don't really want to just leave the style tag open. Though, I think I will anyways, because the boards that I admin, we have some pretty watchful MOD's and Admins that would be able to catch abuse pretty quick, and now with how easy it is in Olympus to Ban people, I don't think we will have any/much problems with it.
.... as long as spambot is not on our board. ;) :D

Highway of Life

the_dan wrote:
Graham wrote: And on the COPPA point - COPPA is still a requirement for forums in the US, as someone else pointed out it is COPA (something else entirely despite the similar name) which got thrown out.
I was under the impression that it was only a requirement if your forum was specifically targeted at users aged under 13?
US Gov wrote: 5. COPPA applies to "websites directed to children." What determines whether or not a website is targeted to children?

The Rule sets out a number of factors in determining whether a website is targeted to children, such as its subject matter, language, whether it uses animated characters, and whether advertising appearing on the site is directed to children. The Commission will also consider empirical evidence regarding the ages of the site's visitors. These standards are very similar to those previously established for TV, radio, and print advertising.
About the COPPA law
US Government wrote: * The COPPA Rule applies to operators of commercial websites and online services directed to children under 13 that collect personal information from children, and operators of general audience sites with actual knowledge that they are collecting information from children under 13.
* Those operators must:
  1. post clear and comprehensive Privacy Policies on the website describing their information practices for children's personal information;
  2. provide notice to parents, and with limited exceptions, obtain verifiable parental consent before collecting personal information from children;
  3. give parents the choice to consent to the operator's collection and use of a child's information while prohibiting the operator from disclosing that information to third parties;
  4. provide parents access to their child's personal information to review and/or have it deleted;
  5. give parents the opportunity to prevent further collection or use of the information
  6. maintain the confidentiality, security, and integrity of information they collect from children.
* In addition, the Rule prohibits operators from conditioning a child's participation in an online activity on the child's providing more information than is reasonably necessary to participate in that activity.
For more information, visit the US gov FAQ on the COPPA law: COPPA FAQ's

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

LEW21 wrote: HTML is totaly unnecessary because you can do everything with desing using only CSS. And to use it in phpBB you must only create 1 custom BBCode tag - [style="{TEXT1}"]
{TEXT2}[/style], which will be replaced to <div style="{TEXT1}">{TEXT2}</div>
Highway of Life wrote: Lew,
That code that you posted is vulnerable to abuse, as Spambot pointed out. He did some pretty good abuse of my board. :D
Here's what I did:

Code: Select all

width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px; filter:alpha(opacity=0); -moz-opacity:.0; opacity:.0;
This creates an invisible layer over your entire page, disabling all links and buttons.. Also:

Code: Select all

height: 9999px;
Very annoying..

Highway of Life

What the?!?!

I just reached the custom BBCode limit!
at 16!?

How do I increase that limit?

It can't be a bug because it gave the error: You cannot create any more BBCodes. Please remove one or more BBCodes then try again