Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Yoda_IRC

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by Yoda_IRC »

Highway of Life wrote:
SamG wrote: The risk being taken in "harmless" tags is in the attributes, particularly the event handlers.
Right, though I've never seen this abused
I have. Its quite common in wikis for spammers to post links to their sites in <div> tags that are hidden using the style attribute, this is done as GoogleBot and other search engine spiders will read the links and the spammers site gets higher rated because reputable sites ar linking to it. And the site admins often don't notice because its invisible to them.

Off Topic: There needs to be some way off fixing link spam, I mean if I post a link here should that link get points on a search spider just because I put it on area51?
I think there may be an attribute you can set, something like rel="nofollow" not entirely sure, does phpBB use anything like that, or are the plans to do so?
Can custom BB Codes overide inbuilt ones? i.e. if I add a custom BB code for URL, will it overide the inbuilt URl. (me may go check on my copy ;))

Anyway back on topic, what IS the topic now? Its switched so many times I'm truely confused.
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

NNO-Stephen wrote:
Lieutenant Clone wrote: I think what he meant is when you use phpBB posts outside phpBB (say for a news script that takes all posts from one forum) as opposed to parsing html within phpBB.
that's EXACTLY what I mean :)
It's not exactly difficult to include the BBCode class and post-process a post...
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way
Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

But if hes making the posts in the forum, using html, Im not sure, but I think phpBB might convert HTML tags before DB storgage (cant remember), and besides, you cant get a preview after posting, you would see lots of html tags.
Dennis Robinson
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: But if hes making the posts in the forum, using html, Im not sure, but I think phpBB might convert HTML tags before DB storgage (cant remember), and besides, you cant get a preview after posting, you would see lots of html tags.
The point of including the BBCode class would be to not use raw HTML and define whatever BBCodes you may need.
robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

Yoda_IRC wrote: Can custom BB Codes overide inbuilt ones? i.e. if I add a custom BB code for URL, will it overide the inbuilt URl. (me may go check on my copy ;))
**bump** for good question.
Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

SHS` wrote:
Lieutenant Clone wrote: But if hes making the posts in the forum, using html, Im not sure, but I think phpBB might convert HTML tags before DB storgage (cant remember), and besides, you cant get a preview after posting, you would see lots of html tags.
The point of including the BBCode class would be to not use raw HTML and define whatever BBCodes you may need.
But hes talking about NOT including the BBCode class, and instead using HTML.
Dennis Robinson
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

robertmf wrote: **bump** for good question.
Have you tried it? Does it give expected results? Whatever happened to people trying things out for themselves rather than insisting to be spoon fed on everything...
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: But hes talking about NOT including the BBCode class, and instead using HTML.
Am I talking to a brick wall or something? I'm fully aware he's wanting to use HTML, for the fact it's a cheap hack in being able to pull posts from the phpBB posts table and have it displayed elsewhere.

However, having HTML enabled is like having unprotected sex... yes you could, though really not a smart thing to do.

Thus, one should pull one's finger out when retrieving posts for external use... include the BBCode class in the relevant places and add the required BBCode to replace the RAW HTML previously used.

Compris?
robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

SHS` wrote:
robertmf wrote: **bump** for good question.
Have you tried it? Does it give expected results? Whatever happened to people trying things out for themselves rather than insisting to be spoon fed on everything...
I have mod and not admin privleges. I did pass the query along.
Schumi

Post by Schumi »

Yoda_IRC wrote: Anyway back on topic, what IS the topic now? Its switched so many times I'm truely confused.
Great idea. If me memory serves me correctly it was about collecting indications/theories that we are getting close to the beta. At least the title of this topic might suggest that. ;)
However the topic was probably not about:
  • Ubuntu
  • people using/abusing the font bbcode
  • html support in Olympus
  • date formats (did someone split these posts? They seem to have vanished...?)
  • anything related to bbcode
I'm sure I still missed some more of the digressions we made here ;) :|
"If sharks die, the sea dies" - Andy Cobb, ambassador SHARKPROJECT South Africa