Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Post Reply
User avatar
robertmf
Registered User
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:20 pm
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia
Contact:

double negatives and limeys

Post by robertmf »

EXreaction wrote:
SHS` wrote: Whilst that is true in the Queen's English, who knows when it's American English... how many times have you seen "I could care less", when in the Queen's English it should be "I couldn't care less". ;)
Ya, and when someone says "All but..."

Like "He is all but dead"...shouldn't that mean that is is everything except dead? Not over here...it means he is dead. :?
American Heritage on use of double negatives
http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/023.html" target="_blank

ye olde BBC on 'double negatives'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... itv4.shtml" target="_blank

(n.b. Double negatives are a grammar structure in Russian.)

How did project features creep got morphed into a twiddling-thumbs-while-waiting-for-beta discussion of grammar :?:
SamG
Registered User
Posts: 1241
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:35 pm

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by SamG »

SHS` wrote: Whilst that is true in the Queen's English, who knows when it's American English...
I'll bet even in the starched collar of the Queen's English using "creepy" for "creep" suggests something on the lighter side. :P

For the rest of you with zero sense of humor, it can't be feature creep if it's not finished, finished being determined by a previously existing feature list.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
User avatar
SHS`
Registered User
Posts: 1628
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 9:13 am
Location: The Boonies, Hong Kong
Contact:

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by SHS` »

SamG wrote: I'll bet even in the starched collar of the Queen's English using "creepy" for "creep" suggests something on the lighter side. :P
Quite. ;)
SamG wrote: For the rest of you with zero sense of humor, it can't be feature creep if it's not finished, finished being determined by a previously existing feature list.
Indeed. Being back on topic, phpBB3.0.x has a fixed feature list which CVS is rolling towards first beta and all that in the near future. Also, phpB3.2.x is effectively feature frozen too, since those were things originally earmarked for phpBB2.2 before it became phpBB3.0... where the "nice to have, but will work on later" stuff being pushed back one minor version.

Thusly... any new features are unlikely to be added any time before phpBB3.4... or phpBB4.0 if it comes to the simple fact API is broken again in the need to move forward.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way
TwistedWeather
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by TwistedWeather »

SHS` wrote:
SamG wrote: I'll bet even in the starched collar of the Queen's English using "creepy" for "creep" suggests something on the lighter side. :P
Quite. ;)
SamG wrote: For the rest of you with zero sense of humor, it can't be feature creep if it's not finished, finished being determined by a previously existing feature list.
Indeed. Being back on topic, phpBB3.0.x has a fixed feature list which CVS is rolling towards first beta and all that in the near future. Also, phpB3.2.x is effectively feature frozen too, since those were things originally earmarked for phpBB2.2 before it became phpBB3.0... where the "nice to have, but will work on later" stuff being pushed back one minor version.

Thusly... any new features are unlikely to be added any time before phpBB3.4... or phpBB4.0 if it comes to the simple fact API is broken again in the need to move forward.
I cant possibly see what else could/would be needed as far as features go. The features i wanted ( We already discussed ) thankfully can be easily added via a mod.
My guess would be this has to do with ajax?
SamG
Registered User
Posts: 1241
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2001 6:35 pm

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by SamG »

Ajax wasn't even in the discussion when 2.2 got pared down into 3.0, but I don't think they'll tell all just yet.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
User avatar
dhn
Registered User
Posts: 1518
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:10 am
Location: Around the corner
Contact:

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by dhn »

There will be no AJAX in Olympus (unless Meik has something up his sleeves, but those sleeves would have to be enormous!). When you are using it, you have to make sure to always have a fall-back for non-javascript browsers or hand-held devices. I doubt there is a cellphone out there that is able to use AJAX. 3.2 on the other hand could build upon 3.0, using the existing "static" framework and implement it where it makes sense.
TwistedWeather
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by TwistedWeather »

dhn wrote: There will be no AJAX in Olympus (unless Meik has something up his sleeves, but those sleeves would have to be enormous!). When you are using it, you have to make sure to always have a fall-back for non-javascript browsers or hand-held devices. I doubt there is a cellphone out there that is able to use AJAX. 3.2 on the other hand could build upon 3.0, using the existing "static" framework and implement it where it makes sense.
I have honestly wondered what the big deal with it is anyways?

Exactly what does Ajax do?
User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by Highway of Life »

It's Creepy how discussions can morph!

I would have liked to see a few additional features, such as the referal mod, but I know that it should be pretty easy to do mods for Olympus
SamG wrote: The risk being taken in "harmless" tags is in the attributes, particularly the event handlers.
Right, though I've never seen this abused, it is a good reason why everything has turned to BBCode, it makes it a lot easier to specify how HTML can be displayed.
It also makes it fairly easy to use, and there are a lot of really cool tricks you can perform using custom BBCode.
NNO-Stephen wrote: that's just it though, if your site for instance, reads out of the phpBB database for something and it doesn't use the BBCode parser at all, then it can interpret HTML as HTML, and display it as such, whereas BBCode would be displayed as just text.

thats the problem, not the inability to display certain things because BBCode doesn't support it, that's always been fixable anyway and it's finally going to become really supported with Olympus which I'm very glad about, but the example above is why I'd prefer we still have the ability to define HTML in the ACP, at least in a limited fashion.

and it's only a security risk if the board admin is a friggin' idiot and enables script and object and a ton of other *beep* like that which people shouldn't need under any circumstances.
I find Olympus so fast that I highly doubt adding HTML ability will cut down that much on parse time, especially since it still has to look up what HTML is permitted, in this case, it will parse the BBCode that it detects, turning it in to the predefined HTML.
Image
Lieutenant Clone
Registered User
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:13 pm

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

Highway of Life wrote: I find Olympus so fast that I highly doubt adding HTML ability will cut down that much on parse time, especially since it still has to look up what HTML is permitted, in this case, it will parse the BBCode that it detects, turning it in to the predefined HTML.
I think what he meant is when you use phpBB posts outside phpBB (say for a news script that takes all posts from one forum) as opposed to parsing html within phpBB.
Dennis Robinson
Image
User avatar
NNO-Stephen
Registered User
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:47 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: I think what he meant is when you use phpBB posts outside phpBB (say for a news script that takes all posts from one forum) as opposed to parsing html within phpBB.
that's EXACTLY what I mean :)
Image
Post Reply