Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
kieroth_whiteleaf

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by kieroth_whiteleaf »

It's entirely possible that after bugs stop trickling in (if they haven't already moved to beta2, remember that they moved to beta1 with known bugs) they'll not bother with a beta2 and move straight to RC1. I would imagine that they won't move to RC1 with known bugs, but if there aren't any new ones reported for a while and all the existing ones are fixed there's no good reason for another beta since that's the point of the RC phase anyways.

Having said that - my guess (purely a guess) based on previous behavior is that they'll move to a beta2 phase soon (whether all the known bugs are fixed or not) and probably an RC a week or two after the bug count hits 0 and stays there.

But that's all conjecture - the logic is sound but only the devs really KNOW any of it.

SFG

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

kieroth_whiteleaf wrote: <snip>...and probably an RC a week or two after the bug count hits 0 and stays there.<snip>SFG
It will probably go gold even with a few number of remaining bug reports. phpBB 2.0, even in its 23rd incarnation, still has some bugs noted in its bug tracker, as does all software out there in the real world. It all comes down to how tolerable the errors are to the developers and to the end-users, and whether these boo-boos can be just put off to be resolved in the next version.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Or some of those bugs may be so obscure, they are hard to either replicate or locate, but they are there nonetheless.

Then there are perceived bugs...

SamG

Post by SamG »

kieroth_whiteleaf wrote: It's entirely possible that after bugs stop trickling in (if they haven't already moved to beta2, remember that they moved to beta1 with known bugs) they'll not bother with a beta2 and move straight to RC1.
If I'm not mistaken, the developers plan to release beta 2 to permit community testing of beta 1 revisions. I recall reading that somewhere, and I recall thinking it authoritative, but I can't recall just exactly who said it. :oops:
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

SamG wrote:
kieroth_whiteleaf wrote: It's entirely possible that after bugs stop trickling in (if they haven't already moved to beta2, remember that they moved to beta1 with known bugs) they'll not bother with a beta2 and move straight to RC1.
If I'm not mistaken, the developers plan to release beta 2 to permit community testing of beta 1 revisions. I recall reading that somewhere, and I recall thinking it authoritative, but I can't recall just exactly who said it. :oops:

this would only make sense, given that the number in the bug tracker is slipping down rather than up, but sometimes fixing bugs causes new bugs and the process starts again, albieght it will likely go more quickly in that run.

Guessing beta 2 in a month :)

Computer Geek

Post by Computer Geek »

You're probably right.

The last time we saw the bug list this low, the Beta1 was less than a month away.
But I'm not holding my breath, same as I'm not expecting a conversion script from B1 to B2.
Thus why running it live is NOT a good idea. ;)

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

Computer Geek wrote: You're probably right.

The last time we saw the bug list this low, the Beta1 was less than a month away.
But I'm not holding my breath, same as I'm not expecting a conversion script from B1 to B2.
Thus why running it live is NOT a good idea. ;)

That's why i'm hoping "backup up data only" works with beta :P

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I can tell you right now that won't work... simply because of the massive BBCode overhaul.

Try it on your localhost sometime, though you might want to have a gag-bag nearby. ;)

Luminiferous

Post by Luminiferous »

Can we somehow spectate progress of creation beta 2 or final release? This waiting without any information annoying me a little bit.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

You can observe the CVS progress. I don't know what other information you'd like?