Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Lieutenant Clone

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

I think he means cheap as in, cost to the user ("free beer" cheap - still costs to make it).
Dennis Robinson

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: I think he means cheap as in, cost to the user ("free beer" cheap - still costs to make it).
Which "he"?

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

Martin Blank wrote: Yoda_IRC wrote:
profpete wrote:
...and NEVER all three

proof by contridiction:
Ubuntu Linux (or insert another good distro here, but Ubuntu has a short release cycle).

Ubuntu may not be a contradiction. The project was initiated by a millionaire. Thus, it may be fast and good, but not necessarily cheap.
Yes, NEVER all three !!- ;) (except for Unbuntu !!-)))
Yes, unbuntu is sponsored by a bloke who made his nut in the dotcom era "B.C." :-P I just got the 5 disks they send out in the std. package ... from France of all places. Unbuntu targets version updates for every 6 mos.

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

robertmf wrote:
Martin Blank wrote: Yoda_IRC wrote:
profpete wrote:
...and NEVER all three

proof by contridiction:
Ubuntu Linux (or insert another good distro here, but Ubuntu has a short release cycle).

Ubuntu may not be a contradiction. The project was initiated by a millionaire. Thus, it may be fast and good, but not necessarily cheap.
Yes, NEVER all three !!- ;) (except for Unbuntu !!-)))
Yes, unbuntu is sponsored by a bloke who made his nut in the dotcom era "B.C." :-P I just got the 5 disks they send out in the std. package ... from France of all places. Unbuntu targets version updates for every 6 mos.
That particular principle (the triangle of implementation cost vs. time vs. quality) still applies to ubuntu. It wasn't designed to apply to consumers, but rather to projects. Even if the eventual consumers of the project pay nothing, the project still has costs.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

*mutters under breath* "are we talking about Ubuntu or phpBB?"

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

Highway of Life wrote: *mutters under breath* "are we talking about Ubuntu or phpBB?"
We were specifically talking about ubuntu, and since both are provided free of charge, this all applies to phpBB as well. The point being that phpBB is inexpensive (it has only a few developers working part-time on it), and high quality, two desirables, so the third desireable (speed) is going to suffer.

robertmf

Post by robertmf »

balding_ape wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: *mutters under breath* "are we talking about Ubuntu or phpBB?"
The point being that phpBB is inexpensive (it has only a few developers working part-time on it), and high quality, two desirables, so the third desireable (speed) is going to suffer.
n.b., "speed" in this context refers to how long it takes for product delivery, not speed as in execution. So, with your phpBB is (cheap) inexpensive to enduser, and high quality (good code), then it follows that you won't get the instant gratification of (fast) el rapido product delivery.

Plug a few $mil$ into phpBB6 and you'll get the good and the fast, but you will have lost the el cheapo :-P

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Well spoken, Roberto!

I would pick Good™ and Cheap™ over Fast™ any day.

robertmf

Post by robertmf »

MoRpHiNe wrote: I've seen people using phpBB 3.0.0 already... I don't know if they should have it yet though...
by Highway of Life [lion avatar]

Don't have a Olympus board to test? -- Become a Mod on our board and help get Olympus available to the public faster.

[Removed]

robertmf

Post by robertmf »

balding_ape wrote: That particular principle (the triangle of implementation cost vs. time vs. quality) still applies to ubuntu. It wasn't designed to apply to consumers, but rather to projects. Even if the eventual consumers of the project pay nothing, the project still has costs.
Right-O. The dotcom millionaire's $ are subsidizing, instead of endusers. Okay by me getting the CDs + postage free from France :-) ... wonder why from France ? I thought Ubuntu was a nominally African project.

I've been doing some testor on phpbb3. Lookin' good. RSN 8)