Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TwistedWeather

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by TwistedWeather »

If i am not mistaken the last thing that needs to be added is the new look/layout?

IF that is the case and as some said here ( Which makes sense ) the majority of bugs left is not show stoppers then i see no reason why this shouldnt be out in beta this weekend. I highly doubt before that though.
Gotta remember ( Which i tend to not do at times ) what had things crawling for a bit was the cvs site being down. I think they believed they would have had beta out almost 2 weeks ago assuming there wouldnt be the problem with cvs.

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

NNO-Stephen wrote: ...also I'm bummed that no HTML support is in Olympus :|
HTML tutorial and code ref. others can be found by googling.
http://www.netstrider.com/tutorials/index.html" target="_blank

SamG

Post by SamG »

I think what NNO-Stephen is talking about is that phpBB 3 won't support the use of HTML in posts (unlike phpBB 2).
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

The BBcode seems diverse enough that html wouldnt be needed. I dont see if used very often either... might be good for the admin though. It does cut down on parsing time by taking it out too, instead of finding what is allowed.
Dennis Robinson

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

SamG wrote: I think what NNO-Stephen is talking about is that phpBB 3 won't support the use of HTML in posts (unlike phpBB 2).
Isn't allowing html in posts generally considered a security risk ? That's what my understanding is; and I've seen few if any phpBB2 based forums where it's enabled ... So getting rid of the html in posts for phpbb3 is the same idea as losing one's little toe.

SamG

Post by SamG »

robertmf wrote: ... So getting rid of the html in posts for phpbb3 is the same idea as losing one's little toe.
Well, obviously not everyone looks at it that way.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

robertmf wrote: Isn't allowing html in posts generally considered a security risk ?
Not really, in phpBB2, you have a config field that allows only the HTML that you want allowed on your forum. For instance, tables and div tags are pretty much harmless.
But now in phpBB3, you basically specify that in the custom BBcode fields in the ACP. The problem is that right now, the custom fields don't work very well. But they are working on those bugs... now THOSE are show-stoppers.

cutaia

Post by cutaia »

Highway of Life wrote: But now in phpBB3, you basically specify that in the custom BBcode fields in the ACP. The problem is that right now, the custom fields don't work very well. But they are working on those bugs... now THOSE are show-stoppers.
Let me make sure I understand what you're saying here...because I would miss HTML greatly.

So, if I want to be able to use the <hr /> tag, I still can? I'll just have to set it up as a custom BBCode first?

Even still...I will miss HTML. I love setting up a bunch of marquees to create a crazy psychadelic post.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

That is correct. You can use HTML with inline CSS to come up with whatever effects you need.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

cutaia wrote: Let me make sure I understand what you're saying here...because I would miss HTML greatly.

So, if I want to be able to use the <hr /> tag, I still can? I'll just have to set it up as a custom BBCode first?

Even still...I will miss HTML. I love setting up a bunch of marquees to create a crazy psychadelic post.
Correct. You can see the hr tag in action here. Give it a try. Code is [hr] (of course) :D