Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Mephistox

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by Mephistox »

Personally, I think the Permission system, while it is amazing, is, at first look, very daunting.

It is superior to phpBB2's system, but it has a much steeper learning curve. It took me at least an hour of toying around to get what I wanted at first, compared to mere minutes with phpBB2.
Don't call me a noob or anything either - I've been with phpBB since v1.
The tabbed ACP and all its options is just damn confusing for a beginning.

Once you master it, however, the forum is yours :D

Mark The Daemon

Post by Mark The Daemon »

I think you all have to remember that there will be a extensive userguide when phpBB3 goes gold, which will explain all the permissions etc.

Mark
"Microsoft isn't the evil software company everyone thinks they are.
They just make crappy programs..."
Linus Torvalds, Creator of Linux OS

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

Just to add my opinion here....

I agree that the permissions system is great and the flexibility and control it can offer is fantastic.

I also agree that it's (currently) very confusing and daunting. I was playing on a "here's my phpbb2.1 forum, play with it" website and after 20 minutes I couldn't get a forum to display and I gave up, deciding to wait for the re-write.

I would like to add though, that while I feel that's it's awesome potential but needs improvement I am unable to think of a single thing that would make a big difference. Yes, No, Never will help, but something else needs to be done.

Probably documentation and comments/prompts. But who knows.

morbidpaloza

Post by morbidpaloza »

The dev's can see it clear THEY WROTE IT that's why we MUST wait till the doc's come out with gold :)

My Skined phpBB3 TEST board!

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

Mark The Daemon wrote: I think you all have to remember that there will be a extensive userguide when phpBB3 goes gold, which will explain all the permissions etc.

How many people read the manual first (or ever!)? I know most people dont, even if they do find that documentation directory.

But at any rate, I find the permissions in 3.0 to be horridly frightening and hard to use. The 2.0 permissions were so straight forward, and made sense, but this new system I cant wrap my head around. And when I do think I understand, I get unexpeted results 8O .
Dennis Robinson

morbidpaloza

Post by morbidpaloza »

Lieutenant Clone wrote:
Mark The Daemon wrote: I think you all have to remember that there will be a extensive userguide when phpBB3 goes gold, which will explain all the permissions etc.

How many people read the manual first (or ever!)? I know most people dont, even if they do find that documentation directory.

But at any rate, I find the permissions in 3.0 to be horridly frightening and hard to use. The 2.0 permissions were so straight forward, and made sense, but this new system I cant wrap my head around. And when I do think I understand, I get unexpeted results 8O .

Try to stop useing your phpBB 2.0 brain and start fresh. That's what I am dooing.

My Skined phpBB3 TEST board!

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: How many people read the manual first (or ever!)? I know most people dont, even if they do find that documentation directory.
I agree with you on that point. I vary rarely use the users manual unless I'm hopelessly stuck.
Lieutenant Clone wrote: But at any rate, I find the permissions in 3.0 to be horridly frightening and hard to use. The 2.0 permissions were so straight forward, and made sense, but this new system I cant wrap my head around. And when I do think I understand, I get unexpeted results 8O .
See, phpBB2 permissions was too basic. Not enough Control. It was Admin, Forum Mod, Global Mod, and User. That was pretty much it besides individual forums for certain groups.

Now with 3.0, we have (almost) complete control.
Work with it a lot, you'll pick it up, but to be as extensive as it is, it needs to be that "daunting", there really is no way around it, and is up to an Admin to learn how to work it, or use the manual.

Me, I love it... could no longer live without it!

Infact, I'm going to work on some MOD's to add even more permission control.

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

Yea, but you could also set induvidual forum permissions per user or group. Personally, I just made groups for everything, then its a simple case of tossing people in them.

I dont think PHPBB3 really has all that many more options, its jsut they are all packed together in a not so freindly interface. Then again, I could be wrong. :mrgreen:
Dennis Robinson

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

You are. ;) :P

They let you have a lot more control over what you allow your users and MODs to do, so a MOD will only have as much, or as little control as you will allow him/her to have.

Same deal with the ACP, you can now have some people who perhaps have control over managing the forums, perhaps managing users, or groups... etc... but not giving them full Admin permissions.
Also, Olympus allows you to group everything in one role and group. So you can make a new role, depending on your prefs, and assign it to a group. And everyone who you want to have that access, you can put in that group. It's really very simple. :D

VelvetElvis

Post by VelvetElvis »

To look at this from another angle, I've been paying for forum software that's more complicated to use and provides less functionality than this seems to. It appears that phpbb has finally matured to the point that it's a real alternative to IPB and vbullitin. Earlier tonight I was commenting that compared to IPB's role and permission scheme what's in phpbb is a real breath of fresh air.

Honestly, there are many small easy to use open source forum packages. The high end has been pretty lacking. Better that some current users may have to migrate to other open source projects than people who need the high end functionality continue to be forced to use non-free software due to the lack of alternatives.