Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
APTX

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by APTX »

EXreaction wrote: Though too bad it isn't RC next. :(

I think we can disregard that by saying that it will be worth waiting for something more stable and more "bug free"...
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

It is just the next logic version, since we use version_compare() we need to choose the lowest possible version after -b2 - which is b3-dev. If we would choose rc1-dev we would not be able to go back to b3 (etc.), but if choosing b3-dev we are able to go to b3, rc1-dev, rc1, etc.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Acyd Burn wrote: It is just the next logic version, since we use version_compare() we need to choose the lowest possible version after -b2 - which is b3-dev. If we would choose rc1-dev we would not be able to go back to b3 (etc.), but if choosing b3-dev we are able to go to b3, rc1-dev, rc1, etc.

Thats what I want to hear! :mrgreen:

Most of the bugs I have seen lately are very minor, so mabey it will be good enough for an RC next! :mrgreen:

Though I suppose RC isn't that importiant for me anymore...I already upgraded my phpBB2 board to 3, so I don't need the upgrade script. :shock: 8)

moondream

Post by moondream »

_Kilian_ wrote: Just installed the latest cvs
Logged administrator actions wrote: Installed phpBB 3.0.B3-dev

Is beta 3 coming ?!?

No this is just consequent as Acyd Burn stated. The db schema was changed, so this is reflected in the database config. Although it is highly improbable that the next version will be RC1, this is also no indicator that beta 3 is coming

The config string could be changed for informal and bug reporting purposes only or the devs want to keep an option to provide an upgrade script from beta 2 to beta 3. Databases with 3.0.B2 as version string would be upgradable 3.0.B3-dev wouldn't as it would be far more complex to write a upgrade script which handles dozens of different database evolutions between beta 2 and beta 3. Note: Keeping an option does not mean they will provide one (assuming they are really keeping the option which would be highly speculative), but at the moment a upgrade script from beta 2 to now would be trivial compared to beta 1 -> beta 2

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

moondream wrote:
_Kilian_ wrote: Just installed the latest cvs
Logged administrator actions wrote: Installed phpBB 3.0.B3-dev

Is beta 3 coming ?!?

No this is just consequent as Acyd Burn stated. The db schema was changed, so this is reflected in the database config. Although it is highly improbable that the next version will be RC1, this is also no indicator that beta 3 is coming

The config string could be changed for informal and bug reporting purposes only or the devs want to keep an option to provide an upgrade script from beta 2 to beta 3. Databases with 3.0.B2 as version string would be upgradable 3.0.B3-dev wouldn't as it would be far more complex to write a upgrade script which handles dozens of different database evolutions between beta 2 and beta 3. Note: Keeping an option does not mean they will provide one (assuming they are really keeping the option which would be highly speculative), but at the moment a upgrade script from beta 2 to now would be trivial compared to beta 1 -> beta 2

Actually its not as hard to upgrade from beta 1 to beta 2 as you think. The main part is just updating the BBCode, but that isn't that hard... :P

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

:lol: yeah, but you cheated right? you used Lew's resync. ;) :P

Actually, there are several ways to upgrade from B1 to B2, and if anybody wan't to do it, as long as they know php and MySQL, they can give it a shot, you might learn something in the process. ;)

moondream

Post by moondream »

EXreaction wrote: Actually its not as hard to upgrade from beta 1 to beta 2 as you think. The main part is just updating the BBCode, but that isn't that hard... :P

well, as I said compared to a b2->now upgrade a b1->b2 is far more complex, you couldn't live with some simple sql statements. Of course it would me managable, a phpBB2 -> 3 upgrade was managable too, only the BBCode was a bit hairy, the rest is straight forward. As I started to monitor DB changes between beta 1 and beta 2 I don't know what changes were neccessary from b1, but if the bitfield changes were more or less all of the bbcode changes, an upgrade would be not too difficult but compared to b2->now it would be far more complex.

Look at area51. I saw broken BBCodes just a few days ago and they might still be there, so it is not trivial to do the bbcode upgrade stuff. But it isn't important here, this is a testing forum. It doesn't matter if BBCodes are broken here. The devs should save the time for real development

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

It's not broken anymore.

they resynced the BBCode bitfields.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

It's not that hard to do... I've been keeping my board up-to-date until about a week before Beta 2 because the bbcodes changed... but through a simple script I was able to upgrade all the posts on my test board... I just haven't had the time to do it on my live board.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

well as it looks right now it should be even easier to upgrade to the tentatively named B3 from B2 than from B1 to B2, correct?