Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by Highway of Life »

Then it brings up the question... what is a perfect release?

AHHHHHHH!!!! nevermind!

Seriously though, I don't think we will have a "perfect" release, in all sense of the word, but we could have everything working the way it's supposed to.
Someone will find some obscure bug sometime down the road I'm sure. But the idea is to release the Beta with as few known bugs as possible, then we can go from there.

gutterballk7

Post by gutterballk7 »

Perfect = 0 known bugs and everyone is happy.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Okay, well... right now there are 60 open reports.
And in two months they have closed 574 reports.
Right now we are getting down to the more difficult bugs, and it is getting harder to find bugs now. If we continue to find another 100 bugs in the next 20 days, then it should be no more than a month from now.
We'll see what happens when someone quotes this post a month from now. :D

However, take a look at this, on Apr 24th (about a month ago)
NNO Stephen wrote: We're down to 60.
We're still at 60!

And according to the Olympus Bug Tracker, at this rate 0 bugs will be reached in 240 days. Now there's a release date for you. :D

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I'm sure the developers will take a sensible approach to releases. A public release can be done with a few known bugs in, as long as they are minor issues. And as long as the current situation with a public bug tracker, with only a limited number of people taking the trouble to go for a CVS download, is still getting in enough bug reports to keep the developers occupied, why do a "public" beta release that will generate a lot more bug reports (which would then be more than the developers could handle anyway, and would also generate more bug tracker administration overhead (false bug reports, double entries, etc.))? Who knows, maybe this way we'll see the shortest ever beta cycle :)

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

Lieutenant Clone wrote:
gutterballk7 wrote: The more bugs we report and the longer we wait, the more perfect it will be :mrgreen:
Ah, so we could wait till 2050 and have an even more perfect release? Still not perfect though, We would have to wait for infinity to have a truly perfect release. Wait, that means it can never be truly perfect... so mabey we will have beta before all the bugs close? There is always going to be something that someone thinks is a bug... ;) :mrgreen:
Yes. I hope the devs aren't going to fall into the software project "feature creep" trap.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I think with all the shouting of "feature freeze!!" we don't need to worry about that ;)

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

same discussion all the time... :(

The dev's do their best and add the latest few missing features - but of course, new features have a few new bugs and so bugs counting up sometimes (a little).
But the planned features have to be finished before beta1. So maybe if all planned features are included and most of the bugs are closed, then it's there: beta1.

Who wants to start with a board that has not included all features?
if yes: download the CVS
if no: just wait a little...

just my 2 cents.

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

Gumfuzi wrote: same discussion all the time... :(

The dev's do their best and add the latest few missing features - but of course, new features have a few new bugs and so bugs counting up sometimes (a little).
But the planned features have to be finished before beta1. So maybe if all planned features are included and most of the bugs are closed, then it's there: beta1.

Who wants to start with a board that has not included all features?
if yes: download the CVS
if no: just wait a little...

just my 2 cents.
Yes, this is 'feature creep' in action! One disadvantage of having a 'flat organization' is there's no boss around to draw a line in granite on the features list and tell the devs "THIS IS IT- produce the core beta and additional features go into version increments/mods".

just my 2 cents. :-P

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Highway of Life wrote: Okay, well... right now there are 60 open reports.
And in two months they have closed 574 reports.
Right now we are getting down to the more difficult bugs, and it is getting harder to find bugs now. If we continue to find another 100 bugs in the next 20 days, then it should be no more than a month from now.
We'll see what happens when someone quotes this post a month from now. :D

However, take a look at this, on Apr 24th (about a month ago)
NNO Stephen wrote: We're down to 60.
We're still at 60!

And according to the Olympus Bug Tracker, at this rate 0 bugs will be reached in 240 days. Now there's a release date for you. :D
Many of those 60 are tagged as 'review later' however, which means they are not getting in the way of the Beta release.

ErikZ

Post by ErikZ »

I haven't been keeping an eagle-eye on the bug reports, but many of them seem to be "Well, it works, but I believe it should work *this* way instead."

If you cleared out the repeats, the bugs to be fixed later, the difference in opinion on design, and the false positives, how many real, "This bug needs to be fixed before beta" bugs are left?