Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
balding_ape

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by balding_ape »

robertmf wrote: n.b., "speed" in this context refers to how long it takes for product delivery, not speed as in execution. So, with your phpBB is (cheap) inexpensive to enduser, and high quality (good code), then it follows that you won't get the instant gratification of (fast) el rapido product delivery.

Plug a few $mil$ into phpBB6 and you'll get the good and the fast, but you will have lost the el cheapo :-P
No, you have missed my point (in fairness to you, I don't think I was all that clear ;)).

In terms of the project dependency triangle (cost, time, quality), it doesn't matter what the end user pays. It matters what the project costs. And phpBB, just because no one is paying money, still has costs: it costs the developers their time and effort. Currently, that has been fairly "low" cost (not wishing to minimize the developers' efforts, but considering the scope of the project, there are only a few part-time programmers, despite the fact that they work hard).

I'm fully aware that speed = time to project completion, and that was the sense in which I used the term. Since we have an inexpensive project (one plus), and a high-quality project (two plus), it is not possible to also have a short timeframe to completion. And the relationship between these things is at least somewhat proportional.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Yes, I just wish that some people here would realize what you posted and stop whining about Olympus not being available yet.

Robert, I see you managed to make it back on! Password finder worked I guess???

dhn

Post by dhn »

Please guys, stop posting in colours. This is annoying.

robertmf
Location: In PA, 55 min. via commuter RR outside Filthadelphia

Post by robertmf »

dhn wrote: Please guys, stop posting in colours. This is annoying.
:?: What's the [Font color] chart for :?:

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

robertmf wrote:
To use with digression, not abuse.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

dhn

Post by dhn »

robertmf wrote:
Like the font size tag it is supposed to help you format your post nicer (highlight words, etc.). But putting a whole post into coloured or bold, huge letters, is bad style and annoys others. So please stop it.

APTX

Post by APTX »

It's good that there is a permission for that.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Tsikura

Post by Tsikura »

dhn wrote:
robertmf wrote:
Like the font size tag it is supposed to help you format your post nicer (highlight words, etc.). But putting a whole post into coloured or bold, huge letters, is bad style and annoys others. So please stop it.
Sorry if Im going against your words or rules and stuff but you are the first to complain about the whole color thing. I guess I'm used to it as members on my forums always posts with the same color text 100% of the time.

Now, writing a bunch of senteces with 3-4 + different colors, now THAT is annoying.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

I personally was finding the colours irritating, but, I don't really think it was my place to say, since if another user started moaning about my posts, I would pay any attention. It needs to be a mod for that sort of things.

Oh, and SHS'
SHS` wrote: To use with digression, not abuse.
digress: To turn aside, especially from the main subject in writing or speaking; stray.
digression: The act of digressing.
discretion: Ability or power to decide responsibly.

;)
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Tsikura wrote: Sorry if Im going against your words or rules and stuff but you are the first to complain about the whole color thing. I guess I'm used to it as members on my forums always posts with the same color text 100% of the time.

Now, writing a bunch of senteces with 3-4 + different colors, now THAT is annoying.
The rules are right here, and have been the case for many years: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/rules.php" target="_blank

It's probably the first time we've had to remind users of it, as generally users on here are able to self moderate, and refrain from abusing text formatting BBCode.

If text-formatting serves to make a post clearer and easier to read, then that's fine, if it's a distraction... don't do it.

Anyone trying multiple colour/stupid sized BBCode within a post on here will probably find themselves on the wrong end of a ban (temporary or otherwise) rather quickly.