Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
LEW21

Re: Suspecting beta release very very soon!

Post by LEW21 »

Number of review later bugs grows very fast. This means that devs want to release beta1 very very soon! Maybe this week :P
phpBB3.pl - user-friendly Polish phpBB3 support

SamG

Post by SamG »

Pharaoh Atem wrote: But COPPA has also been shot down by court, but almost immediately, it was appealed...
That is why the mess with getting search engine data was going on, because the US Government is trying to uphold COPPA
I'm not familiar with any great legal battle over COPPA, but what does it have to do with search engine data?

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

NNO-Stephen wrote: actually, COPPA is not required at all in the US. it was shot down quite some time ago.
COPA (Child Online Protection Act) was declared unconstitutional as it placed limits on what adults could view. COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) has never been challenged in court.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: Sure he should, but he doesnt want to. He wants to use HTML for this situation, therefor not including or using the BBCode class. I can imagine why he would want to use HTML, </snip>
I just had a thought regarding this issue... (sorry to morph the topic from COPPA back to BBCode), I thought if you could do a new BBCode: [html][/html] for example, to allow you to input HTML inside the tags.

I tried this, however, I got this output:

Code: Select all

<div>Hello World!</div>
Instead of

Hello World!
Checking the Source code:

<div>Hello Word!</div>
So the question is: Is it possible to somehow get the engine to parse the < > in the {TEXT} token?

Or does anybody have any other ideas?

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

SHS` wrote:
Lieutenant Clone wrote: But hes talking about NOT including the BBCode class, and instead using HTML.
Am I talking to a brick wall or something? I'm fully aware he's wanting to use HTML, for the fact it's a cheap hack in being able to pull posts from the phpBB posts table and have it displayed elsewhere.

However, having HTML enabled is like having unprotected sex... yes you could, though really not a smart thing to do.

Thus, one should pull one's finger out when retrieving posts for external use... include the BBCode class in the relevant places and add the required BBCode to replace the RAW HTML previously used.

Compris?
are you volunteering to do it for us? If not, care to enlighten me in how to use the BBCode parser in Olympus so that I can pass it on to our coder?

Also I don't think it's very nice to be insulting the users for questioning the removal of a feature that some depend on currently regardless of wether or not you agree with it. I expected a bit more professionalism from you, I suppose I'll have to lower my expectations in the future :(

gutterballk7

Post by gutterballk7 »

Well, I think the fact that COPPA is disabled by default (as far as I saw) in phpBB3 is a wonderful thing - I'm nowhere near perfect enough to set up permissions for those registered users as well as the COPPA users...

Also, I'm quite happy with the results of LEW21's signature and how the phpBB3 Beta release is nearby! Woot!

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Highway of Life wrote: So the question is: Is it possible to somehow get the engine to parse the < > in the {TEXT} token?

It's obviously not possible without a mod, but it would be incredibly insecure (wan't my demonstration of what I could do with a simple <hr> tag not enough? :P ).

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

LOL... I still fail to see why anyone would want to use HTML... BB Code is flexible enough to run as a forum!

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

spambot wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: So the question is: Is it possible to somehow get the engine to parse the < > in the {TEXT} token?

It's obviously not possible without a mod, but it would be incredibly insecure (wan't my demonstration of what I could do with a simple <hr> tag not enough? :P ).
Yes, it could possibly be insecure for those who know what the code *is*.
I understood that.
But if you want to be able to post in a private forum, and pull information as was suggested in the post I quoted, if you could parse HTML using a BBCode, then it would make that easy.
Of course, I know of a handful of other ways of doing that, but still. The fact that the feature no longer exists in phpBB3.0 does suck for those that used it in 2.

For instance, I tried using BBCode with <div> tags, but you can't layer them as you can in HTML.
Try it, create a BBCode that creates a <div></div> tag, and try doing this sort of thing.
<div attribute="value">Text<div attribute="value">More Text</div></div>
It's not possible in BBCode.
But it is possible in HTML

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I think it should work though, so I reported this :mrgreen: