Key question as a mod'r

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
WebSnail

Key question as a mod'r

Post by WebSnail »

You guys must be getting sick of the "When's it ready... Oh why can't you hurry up?" questions already so I'm going to be veeeeerrrry careful how I word this ;)

The key question for me as a mod author being pressured to get my code ready to handle phpBB - Olympus is whether or not key areas have been finalised ie:
  • is the permissions system more or less stable in terms of stucture, constants, etc.. ?
  • has the templating system been set in stone so it's easy enough now to start creating new templates for mods
  • are there any nice "tricks" in terms of variable cleaning, etc.. that we need to watch out for when accessing or including our own input in _GET/_POST, etc.. ?

I appreciate that's a heck of a lot to ask so it's not a "need it now" type thing as ultimately I get the impression we're still a ways off from something solid enough for RC status (which gives me plenty of breathing space).. but if you can spare the time it'd be appreciated.. and I'd humbly recommend some form of FAQ for mod authors or even a forum/wiki space for mod authors to share the tricks they've picked up along the way.

Thanks in advance...

Martin
The impossible we handled yesterday, miracles will be ready for collection next week
WebSnail

Re: Key question as a mod'r

Post by WebSnail »

Hmm... I think I'm going to be answering my own question here to a certain extent having found this:
http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/coding-gui ... #locations" target="_blank
... in the CVS..

If there's anything in my list of questions that isn't covered it'd still be very much appreciated.
Last edited by SHS` on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Linkified ;)
The impossible we handled yesterday, miracles will be ready for collection next week
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

WebSnail wrote: is the permissions system more or less stable in terms of stucture, constants, etc.. ?
The overall structure is finished, though changes may appear, depending on the feedback. Everything will slightly change, but i do not think we will completely rewrite it. ;)
has the templating system been set in stone so it's easy enough now to start creating new templates for mods
The templates/style will change, thats for sure. Even subsilver2 isn't finished yet, there is still a lot to do. Regarding the template engine, there will most likely bug fixes and (if the need arise) one or two tiny new features. Apart from this, the current constructs will not be vanished. ;)
are there any nice "tricks" in terms of variable cleaning, etc.. that we need to watch out for when accessing or including our own input in _GET/_POST, etc..
Have a look at the coding guidelines available here. :) This should give you a first look of how things changed and mods need to adhere to them too of course.
and I'd humbly recommend some form of FAQ for mod authors or even a forum/wiki space for mod authors to share the tricks they've picked up along the way.
Will not happen at the moment because we do not recommend creating Mods for Olympus. There will be a code documentation (created through phpdocumentor) available though (once gold, maybe even during the betas/rcs).

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail »

Acyd Burn wrote: Have a look at the coding guidelines available here. :) This should give you a first look of how things changed and mods need to adhere to them too of course.
Indeed and it's already provided me with invaluable info' on what to look out for now.
:)
and I'd humbly recommend some form of FAQ for mod authors or even a forum/wiki space for mod authors to share the tricks they've picked up along the way.
Will not happen at the moment because we do not recommend creating Mods for Olympus. There will be a code documentation (created through phpdocumentor) available though (once gold, maybe even during the betas/rcs).
Yeah, appreciate that...

I guess my situation is a little different in that, like Smartors Album mod I'm more involved in producing add-ins rather than code hacks/mods so any time advantage I can get now will stand me in good stead later on.

I noticed there's a "mod team" usergroup on here and I suspect I fit the bill so if I try not to dirty my knees too much would it be too much to ask for a VIP pass in ;) :lol:

Thanks for the info though guys... Appreciate you're busy n'all.. 8)
smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

The groups are the same as the teams on phpbb.com, i.e. the MODifications team ;) invite only ;);)
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio
WebSnail

Post by WebSnail »

Davidls wrote: The groups are the same as the teams on phpbb.com, i.e. the MODifications team ;) invite only ;);)
Ah fair enough... Might be worth making the distinction in the group desc..

;)