Request for Stopping Spambots in 3.0

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ckwalsh

Request for Stopping Spambots in 3.0

Post by ckwalsh »

Sorry if this isn't the right place to put this, but I thought it might be a good way to beat the bots.

Could a confirmation system be added with a set of pictures and questions, all of which could be modified by an admin, that could be asked when someone is registering. For example, someone could use some clipart of some snow and have the question "What season is it in the picture?", or have a number labled map and ask which continent is Africa. Since it involves inteligence, it would prevent bots, and if the sets were easily changed it would allow for question sets that bots figured out to be changed easily.

Cheater512

Re: Request for Stopping Spambots in 3.0

Post by Cheater512 »

Problem is its not automated and every forum has to have differerent images and questions.
Its too annoying for most people.

In another thread it was hinted that something better was coming along. :)

ckwalsh

Post by ckwalsh »

Cheater512 wrote: In another thread it was hinted that something better was coming along. :)
*waits in anticipation*

code reader

Post by code reader »

one of the best ways to eliminate spambots is to make sure every link supplied by a user, both in his "home page" (profile) and any link that appears in any post, has a "rel=nofollow", which removes the main reason for spamming (it tells the search engines not to increase the rating of the linked site based on this link).
the problem is that this will only be effective if it is done in the core product. as a mod it is useless, because the operators of bots do not know which forums have put the mod and which didnt, so they will attack everyone.
but if it will be in the core product, it is more than likely that most attackers will skip phpbb3 boards, because the return (for them) will be minimal.

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

I really hate doing that. It completely removes the point of Pagerank. :(

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I'm innocent :mrgreen:

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Possibly playing devil's advocate here a bit :)
Cheater512 wrote: I really hate doing that. It completely removes the point of Pagerank. :(
Does it? The idea of pagerank is that the value of a site increases due to other sites linking to it. That means value is assigned to the fact a page is linked; the assumption is made that the other site is linked to for a reason.

Which, simply, is not the case for websites linked to from profile pages. As I personally, as the webmaster, have little control over what users put in their website field, I don't really think their site should be awarded for my site linking them.

Now, if I put their site in my links section because I feel there is genuine value for my visitors in the site, that's another matter. But people getting higher page ranks for their home sites just because they registered at a bunch of forums? In fact I think that defies the purpose of pageranks.

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

What do you think the average pagerank of a profile page is? ;)

The more they post the more pr that page gets so the more pr they get. Its a good system.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

OK, I missed the bit about also disabling the link in every post... Although I still think it at least in part defies the purpose of page ranks. I want to find someone's page because it contains useful information, not because they post themselves stupid on some board.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

Eelke wrote: Possibly playing devil's advocate here a bit :)
Cheater512 wrote: I really hate doing that. It completely removes the point of Pagerank. :(
Does it? The idea of pagerank is that the value of a site increases due to other sites linking to it. That means value is assigned to the fact a page is linked; the assumption is made that the other site is linked to for a reason.

Which, simply, is not the case for websites linked to from profile pages. As I personally, as the webmaster, have little control over what users put in their website field, I don't really think their site should be awarded for my site linking them.

Now, if I put their site in my links section because I feel there is genuine value for my visitors in the site, that's another matter. But people getting higher page ranks for their home sites just because they registered at a bunch of forums? In fact I think that defies the purpose of pageranks.
that is partly true. it isnt just about being linked. good valid XHTML/CSS is a very big point, correct useage of <h1> etc. etc. is one- and then the content.

seriously :x