[Merged] 17th of April ? / So... where's the Beta?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SHS`

Re: 17th of April ?

Post by SHS` »

gian wrote: they seem lovely. But well if the price is 30$, it's way too much for my budget atm. Plus there is always the risk of my cats converting into Ripped bear :lol:
Hopefully there'll still be some left once your budget allows. :P
Lastof wrote: As long as you start sending them today (You know, put them in boxes, or print some labels) you will have been completely truthful.
The joy of semantics... ;) Can you guess what I'm doing right now? :D
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Posting a message? :oops:

DigitalShadow

Post by DigitalShadow »

Image sorry, couldn't help it.

probably sending the first bears ^^
((perfect timing-_-, i wasnt able to log in this weekend cuz Dad thinks this site is bad and that your all the spawn of Satan....hmm go figure^_^))

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

He can't be sending them, since the post office is closed.

However, since he, like most other people in the UK, will probabaly have had the day off, he is probabaly spending some of it putting as many as possible of the 150 or so Berties in boxes and labeling them.

I hope he's putting some holes in the boxes to allow them to breath.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

spambot wrote: Posting a message? :oops:
Nah, I got Bertie to do his secretary duties... I dictate, he posts! ;)
Lastof wrote: I hope he's putting some holes in the boxes to allow them to breath.
Bears can hibernate. ;)

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Hmm, they may not need food and water, but, surely they need air.

Or is Bertie special? :D
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Bertie can walk on Mars without using an air tank so he can also sit in a box without extra air for a few days :)

stu15

Post by stu15 »

SHS` wrote: I know Bertie isn't the cheapest Bear,
That’s true, I have a bear that I got a while back & it looks about the same as Bertie and it only cost me $5 -10 NZ & Bertie ( according to what my mum said is about $60 NZ)
stu15> Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk || Volvo Ocean Race Talk - Talk All about the Volvo Ocean Race || America's Cup Forum

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

stu15 wrote: That’s true, I have a bear that I got a while back & it looks about the same as Bertie and it only cost me $5 -10 NZ & Bertie ( according to what my mum said is about $60 NZ)
... and you missed the point of that complete sentence and selectively quote me. ;) Postage from the UK down to NZ for something of similar weight to Bertie cost $17 NZ... that doesn't even include the cost of the contents.

Furthermore, truly mass produced toys (runs of hundreds of thousands from places like China and Philipines) where the shop price in "the West" costs ~US$10, would have sourced for under US$1 from the manufacturer.

The FAQ already quite clearly states they were done at cost, so it's impossible for the bears to have been any cheaper, short of someone wanting to subsidise the costs...

kieroth_whiteleaf

Post by kieroth_whiteleaf »

My firm does a lot of custom stuff for different groups and all I can say is that if you're doing less than a thousand (and really, optimal number is MUCH higher than that.. a hundred thousand like shs said is actually pretty standard) things are expensive. For a run of 200 custom ANYTHINGS it's much more expensive than it "ought" to be.

And like he said, shipping is garish.

I would imagine, as a guess, that the bears themselves weren't very expensive. They're the type that get mass produced hundreds of thousands of times so the price gets down cheap.

The sweatshirts, also, not that expensive. HOWEVER - The embroidery on the sweatshirts would cost at the shop I usually use (not the cheapest, but it's close to the house) would probably cost around $200 as a setup fee plus $10ish per shirt (all prices USD). Then there's the shipping, which is probably right around $10ish for in-country.

So, in summary (approximated prices):
Bear w/sweatshirt: $10
Embroidery: $11 ($10 for the work, $1 for the average on the setup fee)
Sales Tax: $2
Shipping: $10

Total: $32

Yes. The bears are pretty expensive compared to others of similar quality. However, due to the VERY small bulk produced, they're gonna be expensive.

*disclaimer*: I have no idea what SHS actually paid for them, or what was involved. I'm just quoting the prices that it would have cost *ME* had *I* been doing the same thing.