My opinion of phpBB3...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Pixelation

My opinion of phpBB3...

Post by Pixelation »

What can I say, phpBB has made a great piece of software, and it is now shown in this new version of phpBB. I was initially going to change forum software from phpBB2 to SMF, but now that I see phpBB3, I am yet to make a decision.

Everything looks good, and I just like the overall look of the default theme. Not A LOT has changed in the style and layout, but it is the minor things that make a forum work well. The colours contrast and the gradients used a perfect. This is certainly a competitor with SMF in situation.

I'll keep you posted on what software I choose, I will make a decision within the next few days. I will also use this topic to give ideas of things to add, change, edit, etc... I guess it's worth the feedback. :)
Pixelation :: The Freezing & Studio Blueprint Owner :: Visit Us :: Contact

Leo the leopard

In need of hosting for your website, forum or even your blog? Visit The Freezing and be a part of one of the newest hosting websites around owned by yours truly!

karlsemple

Re: My opinion of phpBB3...

Post by karlsemple »

this is not the style it will be released with, the new style is going to completly different!

Pixelation

Post by Pixelation »

Really?! Sorry about that, never knew. I haven't read the development blog/articles regarding phpBB3 yet, but I will get to it as soon as possible. I want to compare every single aspect of both the phpBB software and the SMF software to make a good and smart decision, as I don't want to keep on going forward and back with different softwares.

Hopefully the new default theme will look just as good as this one. I'm sure it will look even better. Can't wait until it's out all and until I make my decision to make the most of phpBB's software.

Edit: You are not able to view peoples profiles via clicking their username in topics, is this done to make people use and click the 'Profile' button under each persons post? Or is it going to be added at a later date?

Leo the leopard

In need of hosting for your website, forum or even your blog? Visit The Freezing and be a part of one of the newest hosting websites around owned by yours truly!

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

karlsemple wrote: this is not the style it will be released with, the new style is going to completly different!
Psst, phpBB3 will have subsilver2 (this) and the new style (secret). ;) It's just that the new style will be the default style. ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Pixelation wrote: Edit: You are not able to view peoples profiles via clicking their username in topics, is this done to make people use and click the 'Profile' button under each persons post? Or is it going to be added at a later date?
That is a trivial template change, though I will say the new style will have something to that effect, plus some more. ;)

Pixelation

Post by Pixelation »

Oh ok, that's great then, can't wait to check it out!

Would it be the right thing to do if I used this version of phpBB for my current forum? Like to set up the community already and what not? Or are their still things being added/changed to the software which could affect my forum while it's being in use?

Also, while posting this reply, I got a review message saying 'At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.' Well what can I say, GREAT WORK!

Good to hear that more things will be added.

Edit: It is currently my bed time so I'll return tomorrow morning guys and girls. I will read up on any answers to my questions and all the other posts at that time also. Thanks for the help so far. ;)

Leo the leopard

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Pixelation wrote: Would it be the right thing to do if I used this version of phpBB for my current forum? Like to set up the community already and what not? Or are their still things being added/changed to the software which could affect my forum while it's being in use?
As said many times before, maintaining a running CVS copy (installing it is the "easy" part) will require manual database/PHP work in fixing problems, by virtue of a complete lack of "automagic" updating script(s).

If you are able to invest that amount of time and knowledge (roughly comparable to downloading the sourcecode of Firefox, and compiling it yourself), then we can't stop you. Indeed, some developers working on the framework of brand new sites are using/considering phpBB3 as it's basis.

On a side note... whilst we are a bit more liberal on signature restrictions here, something that takes up half the screen on smaller displays is rather excessive. ;) Update it please. ;)

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

SHS` wrote: (roughly comparable to downloading the sourcecode of Firefox, and compiling it yourself)
Does 'emerge mozilla-firefox' count? ;)

Pixelation they break and fix stuff all the time so if you can find a relatively intact CVS copy and use that until the beta then it wouldnt be too hard.

Its highly not reccomended unless you know PHP/SQL fairly well.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Cheater512 wrote: Does 'emerge mozilla-firefox' count? ;)
No. :P

Pixelation

Post by Pixelation »

Oh ok SHS` no worries then. I guess it's a bad idea to do it now, seeing as I don't know much about PHP or SQL, as Cheater512 has said that you need. I will just wait until their are announcements of it being released for BETA. Any date on it by the way?

Also, I just took out the larger image from my signature just now. Is that better SHS`?

Leo the leopard