Problemo

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Orry Verducci

Problemo

Post by Orry Verducci »

OK, I like to download CVS versions of phpBB 3 and put them on my test server so I can try it out as changes are made. Today I downloaded the latest daily snapshot and installed it as a fresh install on my test server.

I've loged into it with the account creaded during setup and I am clearly an administrator. I have the red group colour and there is a link to the Admin CP at the bottom of the page. However, when I click on it and re-authenticate myself, it says I do not have permissions. Also, I do not have the mod powers on the test forum created at setup.

Is this a bug or something I've done wrong?

karlsemple

Re: Problemo

Post by karlsemple »

As olympus is not even at a beta stage yet here is no support offered for the it or the cvs sanapshots. I would advise trying to get it again tomorrow and see if you have more luck!
Last edited by karlsemple on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orry Verducci

Post by Orry Verducci »

OK, must be a bug somewhere. I'll leave the developers to do what they do and then try again later.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Ya, that happened to me too...I clicked on the admin panel button again though, and it worked the second time...

Orry Verducci

Post by Orry Verducci »

It's not working at all for me. I've noticed that I do have all the mod powers it's just it logs me out the moment I reauthenticate myself, causing the error.

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

Well it is alpha quality. Just wait for them to fix it.

Orry Verducci

Post by Orry Verducci »

Cheater512 wrote: Well it is alpha quality. Just wait for them to fix it.
Exactly. Do you think I should put this on the bug tracker, there doesn't seem that this problem has been reported when I looked through it.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Anything not right and that you can reproduce consistently can be reported, I think.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

isn't it a good idea to update CVS right before posting into the bug tracker, they might have fixed the problem, you wouldn't want to report something thats allready fixed.

unfortunatly the dailly snapshots are always going to be behind. I am also not entirely surewhat happens if a dev is half way through commiting when a snapshot is made.

If i remember correctly from the CVS docs, if someone is commiting multipule files and someone does a check out they can get some of the new files and some of the old

e.g.

Code: Select all

dev1$ cvs commit file1 file2 file3
dev1> commiting file1 ...
dev2$ cvs update
dev2> U file1
dev2> Update Complete
dev1> commiting file2 ...
dev1> commiting file3 ...
(not what is exactly displayed on the screen btw, ment to be more of an example)

dev1 is updating 3 files (which may require the same version to work properly, i.e. file1 and file2 may use a function in file3)
half way through dev2 does a checkout and grabs only file1. if file1 needed the new versions of file2 and file3 to run you could get errors.

I am not entirely sure how SF does the snapshots, or how it does its syncing. This problem may no longer exist but I remember seeing it in the CVS documentation somewhere. I tend to do a cvs update an extra time to check there are no new files added, and I will cvs update before bug reporting on the off chance its been fixed.

[Edit]
Just cecked the online CVS docs, it appears that the problem does still exist:
http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11. ... html#SEC87" target="_blank (has a better example than mine)
[/Edit]

SamG

Post by SamG »

I know what you're saying but I'm not aware that the developers want bug reports always only from the most recent commits. It'd be harder to do thorough bug hunting if you had to keep up with commits first.

By opening the tracker during pre-beta development the developers evidently made the decision to face closing some "out-of-date" submissions. But I could be wrong.