Updating from 2.0.x to 3.0.0

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Papajohn56

Updating from 2.0.x to 3.0.0

Post by Papajohn56 »

Will this be automatic and keep my users around? Or will it be a complete database wipe and reinstall?

Thanks!

Edit: Will all things like smileys be kept? I know styles and mods will break, however

pentapenguin

Re: Updating from 2.0.x to 3.0.0

Post by pentapenguin »

Yes, there will be a upgrade script to convert your old board to Olympus. Smileys: standard ones yes, custom ones: probably not.
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions

MacForum

Post by MacForum »

You can always install your existing smileys after installation anyway. More work, but more
reliable.
Like Macs or just want to see Olympus Live? ;)
www.macgig.com

mansuetus

Post by mansuetus »

about the conversion script...

I have a phpbb with some hacks (including DB hacks). I KNOW the script won't convert them (I ALSO KNOW that the attachment mod will be an exception) anyway :
Will the script CONVERT the DB from 2.0 to 2.2
Or will it TAKE INTO the old DB the informations to a new DB.

The first means that my useless databases will stay there, with no opportunity for me to know what is usefull and what is wasteful.

So : what is previewed for the conversion srcipt ?
Petite publicité pour mon site : on présente des horoscopes qui tuent, on propose des tests,
et si tu cherches bien, tu verras même un phpBB :-)
viens sur spontex.org !

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

I asked this earlier in the development. I'm keeping my board clean so that this problem dosen't affect me, but for those who do have mods, will the upgrade script ignore them or delete them, both from the database and/or the actuall program.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

stubbers wrote: I asked this earlier in the development. I'm keeping my board clean so that this problem dosen't affect me, but for those who do have mods, will the upgrade script ignore them or delete them, both from the database and/or the actuall program.
The upgrade script will just ignore the sections it doesn't know about in the database...almost none of the actual files on your site will be reused, everything you have(except for smileys or images, and probably your config.php file) will be removed first, then you upload all the new files, then you have the installer update the database.

mansuetus

Post by mansuetus »

EXreaction wrote:
stubbers wrote: I asked this earlier in the development. I'm keeping my board clean so that this problem dosen't affect me, but for those who do have mods, will the upgrade script ignore them or delete them, both from the database and/or the actuall program.
The upgrade script will just ignore the sections it doesn't know about in the database...almost none of the actual files on your site will be reused, everything you have(except for smileys or images, and probably your config.php file) will be removed first, then you upload all the new files, then you have the installer update the database.
Then, My phpbb_portal database will still be there, and useless... That's not clean, IMHO.
Petite publicité pour mon site : on présente des horoscopes qui tuent, on propose des tests,
viens sur spontex.org !

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

mansuetus wrote: Then, My phpbb_portal database will still be there, and useless... That's not clean, IMHO.
Talk to the portal writers to write a upgrade fix for it then. Your asking in the wrong spot.

mansuetus

Post by mansuetus »

I did not say I wanted to update the portal, I meant I had MANY mods, (portal was just an example), and these sometimes modified the DB (added rows or bases).

And I also said that "i did not want" to have these useless in the new phpbb (new being phpbb3.0 which would be an update from my 2.0.x without mods...)
viens sur spontex.org !

SamG

Post by SamG »

Whatever modification you're talking about, or however many, the point remains the same. If the past is any indication (and you've certainly been around long enough to know this already), the developers don't support MODs as a rule, but as an exception. MOD support is generally the responsibility of the MOD community and the individual MOD authors.

That said, we know that Acyd's attachment MOD is supported by the upgrade script. The developers have left the door open to supporting a couple of other popular MODs. Leaving that door open seems generous to me. Expecting them to support all or most or even just the widely used MODs seems a little steep to me.