beta 1 and now

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
APTX

Re: beta 1 and now

Post by APTX »

Though the devs might include it in the last RC so that the style itself will be checked for bugs... or 3.0.1 :P
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

th23

Post by th23 »

I guess there is / was / will be internal testing for the new style... but I hardly doubt that it will be public before GOLD release. - Better to risk some flaws or even 3.0.1 than being copied before release....

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

th23 wrote: I guess there is / was / will be internal testing for the new style... but I hardly doubt that it will be public before GOLD release. - Better to risk some flaws or even 3.0.1 than being copied before release....
well then IMO that would make 3.0 the final RC build and 3.0.1 the actual gold master equivalent. I don't know how you can release a release candidate with parts intentionally missing. that goes against the very meaning of release candidate. I mean if they chose to do it that way then that's their choice, I'm just saying it's wrong :P

or they can skip over the RC stages completely which would then solve this whole mess.

SamG

Post by SamG »

But if the "missing" parts are optional themes...

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

SamG wrote: But if the "missing" parts are optional themes...
which may very well have bugs, especially if it is as different from subsilver as the devs imply.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Sure it may have bugs, but it's still an optional theme. The theme we use during the RC cycle will get the shakedown you have in mind, and through that we'll know if the board is ready for release.

R45

Post by R45 »

I echo SamG's comment, the subSilver2 (this template) will be in the final release and community tested, so if by chance the "secret" template has serious bugs, one can always use this one. That said, it will be tested by the teams who have a number of enthusiastic members, I'm sure it'll be fully functional atleast.

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

Martin Blank wrote: When subSilver was released prior to the phpBB 2.0 release, it was immediately copied by numerous other software packages, so there was little new look once 2.0 made it to the final version. They're attempting to avoid that here.
The same thing is happening with Windows Vista as what happened for 2.0, people copying the theme.

It was really easy to copy the subSilver colour scheme to 1.4.4 as my friend did it, didn't look too bad.

The template is internally tested by it's creator of course, I don't see how else you can write a template like that.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio