RSS & Syndication

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Martin Blank

Re: RSS & Syndication

Post by Martin Blank »

Demand is present for a lot of things. The amount of the demand is in question, I think. And even significant demand does not make for a valuable addition. That was my point.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

vph

Post by vph »

If not demand, then what would be the driving force for adding a new feature? Just because it can be done? What's the definition of a valuable feature?

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

dhn wrote: Just to say this: We would love to see this feature in 3.0, but there won't be enough time, probably. It is in important feature, but not important enough to stop the presses.
What if say I made it (paying attention to the Coding Guidelines) and then someone would only have to check the code.
I'd be happy to maintain the RSS part of phpBB3. ;)

Is there any problem with that?

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Martin Blank wrote: Demand is present for a lot of things. The amount of the demand is in question, I think. And even significant demand does not make for a valuable addition. That was my point.
very very true.

but, RSS can be extremely helpful in integrating the forums community with the website. for instance, a little ticker that shows the most recently active threads, or the newest threads, or announcements. or use the feeds for a Dashboard widget for OS X (or even that PoS Konfabulator which Dashboard was based on). not to mention it would be beneficial for moderators as they could have a bit easier time keeping up with a fairly active board if it was presented in a nice condensed RSS feed in their aggregator of choice NetNewsWire or something. inform them as soon as a new thread is posted... like "FREE iPODS!" or some such :)

there are plenty of benefits. I look forward to this feature hopefully being a part of 3.2 .....pleeeeease?

Hyde

Post by Hyde »

TasDevil wrote: RSS is *very* useful for me. I read every new post on our forum (~100-150 posts per day) via our RSS feed in Opera without any need to navigate on the forum pages - just with the arrow up/arrow down keys (Mozilla Thunderbird would work fine as well - you can read posts just like emails). I can read everything very fast this way and can click the link to a post (and thread) if necessary.
I use the tiny rss plugin that I refered to earlier just to have a list of most recent topics in Mozilla. Some forums are very busy, others very slow, it's an easy way to monitor them. Right now I have 4 forums which offer this feed (takes about one minute to install the add-on in 2.0x so it's not hard to convince board admins) and I truly find it very useful that I do not need to keep 4 windows open to be able to follow what happens on those forums but instead can just click my live bookmarks.

TasDevil

Post by TasDevil »

Hyde wrote: tiny rss plugin
We use the russian one: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=254606" target="_blank - more info: http://naklon.info/rss/about.htm" target="_blank - it even has AddOns for RSS Autodiscovery (this RSS symbol in the browser's address line) and for showing the RSS users on the "Who is online" page.

I hope it'll be available for Olympus, too. :-)

Tas.
Mie Speell Chker w0ks fyne.

SamG

Post by SamG »

I'm going to show my ignorance here (yet again), but I am wondering about this "CM2F/CM4F" thingy I've seen a phpBB admin or two implement. Is this something that over the long haul might be preferable to RSS?

MysteryQuest

Post by MysteryQuest »

I think that there are a lot of people these days that use RSS and that amount is growing each day. But if you would create a RSS or other syndication application, make sure it doesn't use too much load. phpBB 2 is quite heavy in means of server load, memory use and database use. (I don't know how this is with Olympus though). Most RSS & Syndication readers refresh there page every 30 or 60 minutes. That's quite a heavy load if you wouldn't keep this simple.
The jail is the high school of the crime, if you get out you are only a bigger criminal.

Alfatrion

Post by Alfatrion »

RSS would add to the server load. A server/website onwer should be able to say what features one would like to run and what features one doesn't like to run. That should take this concern away.

One of the new features of phpBB3 is caching, which lowers the server load and responce time. Something similair might be also an idea for RSS.
With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

murnauvsbuñuel

Post by murnauvsbuñuel »

TasDevil wrote:
Hyde wrote: tiny rss plugin

We use the russian one: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=254606" target="_blank - more info: http://naklon.info/rss/about.htm" target="_blank - it even has AddOns for RSS Autodiscovery (this RSS symbol in the browser's address line) and for showing the RSS users on the "Who is online" page.

I hope it'll be available for Olympus, too. :-)

Tas.

yeah i hope this too
sorry for my bad english i am spanish.
Image the best portal to phpBB2