Should this feature be taken out?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Martin Blank

Re: Should this feature be taken out?

Post by Martin Blank »

bpat1434 wrote: Yeah, you could use a different host; however, if you perform the act (posting anonymously) within the borders of the state, you're still accountable. It's where you do the act, not where the server is located.
The bills specify that a complainant can demand the information from a server operator. However, my home and my server are located in California, and hence is subject to California law. The demand would be ignored by me, because I would not be required to keep the information, even if the poster is in New Jersey.
If where the server was located is what mattered, lots of the "piracy" that we see today would be challenged by saying "well, I downloaded off of a Russian server, so I can't be held responsible"... so it's where you commit the act, not where it's served from.
Piracy is still illegal in Russia. They have different laws concerning circumvention of encryption for purposes of backups, but downloading an illegitimate copy of Windows is still illegal there.
NNO-Stephen wrote: this idiotic law will never happen. ever.

unless Jeb Bush is elected in 08...
The president can force through a state level bill into law? Did I miss an amendment? :roll:
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

-CC-

Post by -CC- »

In my understanding you AREN'T anonymous, even if you post without an account. Your IP is saved with every post you make.
The username is not relevant, anyway, I think, because you can't draw conclusions on the 'real' person from it. With the IP, you can.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

IP can't always be traced, you may be sending all your queries through an anonomizing proxy, such as TOR, http://tor.eff.org/" target="_blank which sends your message through a chain of proxies and the only IP that is logged is the last one. Which means you have to get the information from that machine which will be togh as it proberly doesn't keep any logs and even then you only get to an earlier proxy, you have to infact obtain data from every proxy.

With registration you can atleast tie it to an email if you have email validation, but then if you register for a free webmail account using above approach of anon proxies you can't tie the email address to a real world presence, but then are criminals that smart?

APTX

Post by APTX »

You only forgot to mention that you should connect to the net from places which make it hard to trace yourself like an unprotected Wi-Fi network in someones home or a pre-paid mobile phone you can always destroy :) .
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

Martin Blank wrote:

The president can force through a state level bill into law? Did I miss an amendment? :roll:
Wrong Bush.

P.S. A president can't be re-elected for a third time...
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

bpat1434

Post by bpat1434 »

VxJasonxV wrote:
Martin Blank wrote:

Wrong Bush.

P.S. A president can't be re-elected for a third time...
Correct Bush. Jeb is the governer of Florida now, and G.W.'s brother. While GW can't be re-elected (thank god), Jeb could be . . . which is what the post was saying....

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

I was being sarcastic. In case some have missed the rest of the thread, I'm fairly well-versed in the way that the federal and state governments work.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Please, lets leave the politics elsewhere.

The ability to enable anonymous posting will remain whatever - the laws of a single state will not change that, it would be up to the board owner to comply with any relevant laws.

It's the same as the ability to turn off COPPA, you have the option, it is up to you if it applies or not.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

MoRpHiNe

Post by MoRpHiNe »

I think the government would get involved, posting on forums I would think is Freedom of Speach..... So I don't think they could do that....
My Links: Webmaster-Support | Mutant-Designs | My Blog
Maximum Host - Free phpBB Hosting + More!

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

Posting on others forums isn't freedom of speech. Each webmaster has the right to censor/delete/edit how they wish.

Creating yourown forums/website would give youthe freedom of speech (i.e. being the webmaster).
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio