Being tired of waiting and waiting

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
NNO-Stephen

Re: Being tired of waiting and waiting

Post by NNO-Stephen »

hmueller wrote: ...a status-update about the progress and the work of the community coding project would be fine.
well whoever took the CC projects would probably be better suited to comment on the progress of those. though I doubt you're gonna get anyone to comment on them.

leh

Post by leh »

[Spam Removed]

nEGATIVE

Post by nEGATIVE »

Would you expect a sequel to come out straight after the first film?
-nEGATIVE

Frosty_Tigger

Post by Frosty_Tigger »

I agree that PhpBB 3 is taking a long time, yes... But I also understand that coding a perfect software takes a long time, and most people want their creations to be perfect. It is quite obvious that you have never tried to make a PHP script, or any other script.
Really, the longer it takes, the more features there will be. So I am not complaining. Actually, I am glad there is someone willing to do some work for me, for free, so I don't have to.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

1) All versions of phpBB are coded by a team of volunteers. The volunteers who are coding 3.0 are the same ones that work on maintaining and creating security fixes for 2.0. Having two overly large projects to work on both at the same time with people pestering you every single day about it not being finished, while you are being paid whatever comes through donations and ads and doing the work in whatever time you have that you aren't doing your full-time paying job is very annoying.
2) So what that you have been waiting for 2, 3, maybe 4 years (I don't know when it started dev) for 3.0... who cares. It will be released when it is released. Until then, use 2.0 and any code modifications seem to fit. ;)
3) Topic starter ("sad", I believe), if you haven't seen anything about BETA soon or a hopefully 2006 release (which is VERY probable), then you obviously haven't kept up with the two latest phpBB announcements.
4)I'm not trying to sound mean, I'm just explaining this stuff in an attempt to get people to stop complaining about slow coding

quick5pnt0

Post by quick5pnt0 »

NNO-Stephen wrote: well whoever took the CC projects would probably be better suited to comment on the progress of those. though I doubt you're gonna get anyone to comment on them.
What ever happened with the community coding projects anyway? Were they all done? Are they still being updated or worked on by those who volunteered or have the developers taken over those parts of the script again?

I can understand where the thread starter is coming from though. The problem isn't with how long it's taking, everyone understands this stuff takes time, and we want it done right. The problem is with it always seeming that olympus is *just about* to be released, yet it never happens. What i mean is that if the devs would have just said from the beginning that it will not be done for years and years then nobody would have expected it to be done, but instead from time to time we've heard that it would be out pretty soon only to be disappointed. For example, in october-november the lead developer (at the time) hinted that the expected release date is February or March.....2005!

BTW That's not meant to put down the devs. I applaud their hard work and skill that creates such an awesome forum. Thanks!