Will Olympus be fully W3C compliant?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Yoda_IRC

Re: Will Olympus be fully W3C compliant?

Post by Yoda_IRC »

Problem is phpBB's code has little influence on w3 compliance. The template is what really has an effect. So if you but it on the default template and someone decides, hey I'll make a 'small' alteration and breaks compliance they may not remove the icon, or even know what its for. we could then end up with thousands of non-compliant pages displaying the W3 compliance logo. Which would be pretty bad for web compliance as a whole because you would know longer be able to know which sites are W3 compliant without running the validation yourself (which admitidly only takes a couple of clicks).

jimbo11883

Post by jimbo11883 »

Yoda_IRC wrote: Problem is phpBB's code has little influence on w3 compliance. The template is what really has an effect. So if you but it on the default template and someone decides, hey I'll make a 'small' alteration and breaks compliance they may not remove the icon, or even know what its for. we could then end up with thousands of non-compliant pages displaying the W3 compliance logo. Which would be pretty bad for web compliance as a whole because you would know longer be able to know which sites are W3 compliant without running the validation yourself (which admitidly only takes a couple of clicks).
True, phpBB2's code did have influence on w3 compliance though. Especially with amperstands not being converted into & ...
phpBB3 is the most important invention since sliced bread! :P

MoRpHiNe

Post by MoRpHiNe »

kulinar wrote: Is it planned to be placed W3C validation icon at the bottom like coppermine gallery?
I would think so, possibly if it is WC3 Compliant...
My Links: Webmaster-Support | Mutant-Designs | My Blog
Maximum Host - Free phpBB Hosting + More!

Anommander Rake

Post by Anommander Rake »

MoRpHiNe wrote: I would think so, possibly if it is WC3 Compliant...
That's a real problem with forums (and guestbooks, blogs...). It is pretty much always possible to breach compliance with usernames, posts or something similar. Declaring W3C compliance a feature makes the possibility of minor compliance breaches in user input a bug.
Personally I think it's embarassing to have the W3C button leading to the "This page is not Valid" page. (as it happens most of the time with the support forum of yet another hyped forum system.)

kulinar

Post by kulinar »

I don't understand how an user can input a bug if (s)he doens't use HTML :roll:.

Anommander Rake

Post by Anommander Rake »

Quite easily. For instance by using chars like '™'
http://validator.w3.org/check/referer" target="_blank

kulinar

Post by kulinar »

That needs a feature request to disable illegal character.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

kulinar wrote: That needs a feature request to disable illegal character.
It's a perfectly legal character, it actually just needs entitising, like all characters outside of the current code page should be. Otherwise, use Unicode, most commonly UTF-8, which doesn't require any character except <, >, " and & to be entitised.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

kulinar

Post by kulinar »

For most users entitising is a hard thing to do. And how unadvanced user should be sure which charachter needs entitising, and which - no?

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

kulinar wrote: For most users entitising is a hard thing to do. And how unadvanced user should be sure which charachter needs entitising, and which - no?
It would be done programmatically wouldn't it? It's just a case that it isn't right now...
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way