Migrating from 2.X to Olympus

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
soundboy

Migrating from 2.X to Olympus

Post by soundboy »

Just wondering, how is migrating from 2.X to 3.0 going to work? Will I be able to keep my current data (posts, users, etc)?

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Migrating from 2.X to Olympus

Post by Marshalrusty »

soundboy wrote: Just wondering, how is migrating from 2.X to 3.0 going to work? Will I be able to keep my current data (posts, users, etc)?
From what I know, there will be a convertor very similar to the one from 1.x to 2.x. You will upload the install folder, run the upgrade.php file and the database schema will be updated to the new version. Basically upload>click>done

kulinar

Post by kulinar »

I just wanted to ask if after upgrade to Olympus I will be able to use two boards pld phpBB2 and new Olympus with the same database. I see that in Olympus DB there are a lot of changes.

The reason I ask is that I have many mods installed on my phpBB2 like Sudoku mod and I have to wait these mods to be updated for Olympus.

custmguru

Post by custmguru »

you'll probably want to wait until either you or someone else reauthors those mods for Olympus.

I have another question. I've gone through a few versions of the board with various mods and when I tired of them or upgraded I just modified the files and left the DB alone. Now I have a DB with the basic board needs, but also the remains of an ignore mod, the tarb tool, possibly even a Niels fuly modded version DB package. It hasn't been a problem running a nearly vanilla board with all that in there, but I'm concerned about the upgradibility.

How hard will it be to migrate my DB over? Should I start killing all the unused tables now?

Jeevan25

Post by Jeevan25 »

The bad part is, the more MODs you have installed, the worse the upgrade will be. So better to stay away from those MODs.

Graham

Post by Graham »

What I've said before still applies - if you have extra information in the database (ie non standard tables or fields), it will simply be ignored in the conversion. If you have MODs which have altered the use of standard fields or which prevent the standard fields being populated properly as some do, these are very likely to cause problems.

In the latter case, it will be down to the MOD author or the community to find a solution - although we will be providing a convertor which is structured in such a way that it should be clear what you would have to alter to work in this situation
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

OTmaster

Post by OTmaster »

Well what if all the tables were converted regardless of what they are? this would make it easier for mod authors to convert their mods without messing with the sql.

kulinar

Post by kulinar »

Graham, what you say is really great. But what happens to people who have installed on their boards Attachment Mod which now seems to be a part of Olympus?

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

It will be converted.

Graham

Post by Graham »

As Meik said, that will be converted. A few others which add information which is now native in 3.0 may also be converted over, depending on how much use we think there is for it. Those which change the information won't get converted however
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!