burden on the new phpBB 3.0 coders?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
wGEric

Re: burden on the new phpBB 3.0 coders?

Post by wGEric »

We aren't in this for the money so the little that we earn from the advertisments goes towards the expenses of running the project such as paying for the server. If we wanted to make money, then you would see significant differences with the ads.
Eric

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

What Paul said before his departure was that the majority of money was spent directly on the project, and the rest went to team members, where it got spent on what they liked, if I remember correctly.
I certainly didn't get the impression that the team members were making all that much out of the project though, certainly not an ammount proportional to the ammount of time they put into the project.

XIII

Post by XIII »

cooleo100d wrote: If they are not making any money, then they are doing something wrong, because with a pagerank 9 site, those ads should be bringing in something.
I'd love to learn that trick. The only thing a pagerank is good for is showing up higher in the search results, it doesn't automagically make people click ads.
cooleo100d wrote: I highly doubt the hosting is that expensive. The bulk of the bandwidth used is when people download phpBB, which is handled by Sourceforge so it doesn't cost phpBB any money.
Suuuuure, they only have several hundred people browsing the forum and posting at any given time... no bandwidth at all. :roll:

p3980

Post by p3980 »

XIII wrote:
cooleo100d wrote: If they are not making any money, then they are doing something wrong, because with a pagerank 9 site, those ads should be bringing in something.
I'd love to learn that trick. The only thing a pagerank is good for is showing up higher in the search results, it doesn't automagically make people click ads.
cooleo100d wrote: I highly doubt the hosting is that expensive. The bulk of the bandwidth used is when people download phpBB, which is handled by Sourceforge so it doesn't cost phpBB any money.
Suuuuure, they only have several hundred people browsing the forum and posting at any given time... no bandwidth at all. :roll:
Yes, yes... none whatsoever!

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

XIII wrote:
cooleo100d wrote: Suuuuure, they only have several hundred people browsing the forum and posting at any given time... no bandwidth at all. :roll:
OK so lets say there is high bandwith usage.

Everyone seems to be associating high bandwidth usage with its impossible to make money, which in no way is true. Look at a site like newgrounds.com. The site uses hundreds of terabytes of bandwidth every month, and makes a ton of money.

Sure there are expenses, but I still would guarantee there is a surplus of money.

Alagba

Post by Alagba »

Open Source or Free Software doesn't mean 'free beer'. Anyone who can't stand the idea of phpBB bringing money to devs should start their own project and make it as successfull as they can without making any profit.

Graham

Post by Graham »

I'm constantly amazed that these topics keep coming up every few months. As we have stated many times, the adverts are there to cover the costs of running the server and the project and not to make a profit. Someone refers to what Paul said previously and the situation has not changed since that post - the surplus once we've dealt with the costs that something of this size entails amount to "pocket money" for those who receive something.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

code reader

Post by code reader »

just a suggrestion:
other open-source projects have a way for users to express their gratitude towards the developers and support team members.
basically, it ammounts to team members opening a paypal account, and a "gratitude" page off of the main page of the site, with a paypall button for each team member.
in the case of phpbb, since there is already an "about" page with all team members in it, all it would take is ta add a "Gratitude" (or "Contribute") column, with a paypal button for those team members who are interested.
this will allow users who received support from a specific member to express their gratitude, and will allow any user who wish to reward the developers to do so.
this is the modern way of the old "shareware" spirit, where developers of freeware software would ask happy users to mail a small (typically $10-$30) check.

just an idea, of course.

APTX

Post by APTX »

Quite original I must say.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Vic D'Elfant

Post by Vic D'Elfant »

code reader wrote: in the case of phpbb, since there is already an "about" page with all team members in it, all it would take is ta add a "Gratitude" (or "Contribute") column, with a paypal button for those team members who are interested
Like SourceForge?

Vic