how much less server load will olympus utlise ?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ergo14

how much less server load will olympus utlise ?

Post by ergo14 »

im wondering how is olympus (current cvs ) compared to standard phpbb comapred in term of processor and memory usage ? and overal speed and database usage ?

ergo14

Re: how much less server load will olympus utlise ?

Post by ergo14 »

hmm... i thought that speed and security was the main goal for phpbb3 so no developer wants to say how its compared to phpbb2.0.x ?

APTX

Post by APTX »

As phpBB3 is not finished you can't compare them yet.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

What, you waited 24 hours, and since you recieved no reply, decided that you were delibrialy being ignored.

If you want to find data on the load used by Olympus at this current moment, you only need to look at the bottom of the page.

However, the phpBB team has always resisted giving out data for how much space and bandwidth an installation uses, since it is subjective and depends on the size and popularity of the forum and therefore can give misleading data. Once a converter is available, it will be easyer to make an objective comparison.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

code reader

Post by code reader »

Lastof wrote: .....
However, the phpBB team has always resisted giving out data for how much space and bandwidth an installation uses, since it is subjective and depends on the size and popularity of the forum and therefore can give misleading data.
i dont think you have the facts right.
nobody "resist giving out data". twisi, nobody possess this kind of data.
i searched the internet deep and wide for some benchmark that either compares different bbs packages for scalability and server load, or at least provides some measurable information about server load of any given system under well-defined parameters, and so far have found none.
the fact is, anyone can make claims such as "smf is thrice as fast as phpbb", "phorum is the fastest formum software in existance", "vB is faster than phpbb v2 but slower than v3", or any other such claim, but, ttbomk, nobody have published any reliable measurements of this kind to date, and (again, ttbomk), there is no publically available forum-software test-suit that can be applied to measure these things yourself.
so, nobody "resist giving data". its just that no such data exists.

not even non-comparative data, for instance, if one was to ask: "how scalable (or unscalable) is phpbb, ie, how much will doubling the number of categories, or forums, or topics, or posts, or average post-length affect server load?", nobody has an answer.
we all assume, of course, that load is linear with the number of simultanous users connected, but even this is just an assumption, not a measurement.
[rant="about search"]
with phpbb, because of the unbelievable method used for search, once a board develops significant size (# and size of posts), posting slows, until at a certain size it grinds to a halt. (while still lacking basic search capabilities such as 'search complete phrase').
i believe all the large phpbb-based boards (including phpbb.com) have developed ways around the defective search mechanism. i believe olympus is free of this defect.
[/rant]
there were quite a few other performance-related changes, but it is (almost) impossible to predict how it will all play out without conducting some measurements. ttbomk, no one had to date.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

I believe that they do have data on how much space and bandwidth AN installation uses. However, on installation doesn't give a representive spread, which is the problem you are outlining, and why the phpBB team doesn't give out such data.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

Lastof wrote: I believe that they do have data on how much space and bandwidth AN installation uses.
We could tell you how much disk space a fresh install will take. Thats about it. We could probably give rough estimates on everything else but there are way too many variables for this to be accurate.
Eric

ergo14

Post by ergo14 »

Lastof wrote: you only need to look at the bottom of the page.However, the phpBB team has always resisted giving out data for how much space and bandwidth an installation uses, since it is subjective and depends on the size and popularity of the forum and therefore can give misleading data. Once a converter is available, it will be easyer to make an objective comparison.
once a converter is available i can check it out myself LOL ;-)
the generation time or server load gives absolutely no information to me , as id depends on maany things, the forum feels a lot faster than phpbb2.0.x . i was hoping for a rough comparision exactly like:
code reader wrote: anyone can make claims such as "smf is thrice as fast as phpbb", "phorum is the fastest formum software in existance", "vB is faster than phpbb v2 but slower than v3"
i dont want much information , its enough for me to know it will be faster than vbulletin is now and like twice as fast as phpbb2.0.x branch ;-) ( i wish it could be this way at least hahah ) rough estimates is exactly what i wanted to know ( curiousity is my second name ;-) )

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Problem is that it is probably nigh on impossible to make any such generic statements about performance. A benchmark for a number of standard tests would probably be the best way to compare performance.

pentapenguin

Post by pentapenguin »

ergo14 wrote: im wondering how is olympus (current cvs ) compared to standard phpbb comapred in term of processor and memory usage ? and overal speed and database usage ?
This new version uses a caching system for both templates and SQL queries so the board will be much less server intensive especially on large sites.
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions