How far are you?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
karlsemple

Re: How far are you?

Post by karlsemple »

the reason they find s many bugs in 2 is that the codebase is so old and basically outdated, and i dare say they struggle to keep it running securely, i thought this was the whole point behind 3. they do not do them in burts, they release updates addressing problems, as further problems occure they release another update. I suppose they could not bother and wait for several months before releasing a massive update which would makke life an nightmare, not to mention the longer they leave between updates the longer boards are vunerable

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

Alexander the Great wrote: Even if you disagree with the 2.0.12-.14 example I gave, there are still other examples, and they should be fixing these all at once if they are known.
I highlighted the important part in your quote. During that time a new version would be released and then the next day we would get a security report. We don't know if it was people being jerks and trying to ruin our image by holding back this information so that we release more versions or if the people actually didn't find the exploit until then.
Eric

Alexander the Great

Post by Alexander the Great »

wGEric wrote:
Alexander the Great wrote: Even if you disagree with the 2.0.12-.14 example I gave, there are still other examples, and they should be fixing these all at once if they are known.
I highlighted the important part in your quote. During that time a new version would be released and then the next day we would get a security report. We don't know if it was people being jerks and trying to ruin our image by holding back this information so that we release more versions or if the people actually didn't find the exploit until then.
No point on telling me what I said. I realize that it could have been people trying to mess with phpBB, but also there are still a few patches that created new bugs (and I even remember when someone messed up the update instructions that caused a little trouble), and the kind that are just sloppy mistakes. I wasn't saying that everytime there are several releases in a row its the phpBB Group's fault, I'm saying that since we don't know why it is a possibility, and it has been their fault in other instances.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

Ok this thread has gone off topic enough. I'm sorry that I basically got it onto the other topic by saying it wasn't rushed. Could a mod lock this or else everyone else get back on the original topic?

Alexander the Great

Post by Alexander the Great »

Aldenhier wrote: Ok this thread has gone off topic enough. I'm sorry that I basically got it onto the other topic by saying it wasn't rushed. Could a mod lock this or else everyone else get back on the original topic?
Well, you just made this the first post for 3 days. :roll:

I'm pretty sure that it would have just died if you had left it alone.

p3980

Post by p3980 »

Alexander the Great wrote:
Aldenhier wrote: Ok this thread has gone off topic enough. I'm sorry that I basically got it onto the other topic by saying it wasn't rushed. Could a mod lock this or else everyone else get back on the original topic?
Well, you just made this the first post for 3 days. :roll:

I'm pretty sure that it would have just died if you had left it alone.
Agreed.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

Make that 2 days and it's a deal. ;) (I made my post on the 25, and the last post before that was the 23). You just bumped on the third day from the post before mine and blamed me. :P Anyways...

It was marked unread and I didn't remember to check the date because I don't come here every day that exists. Sorry.

EDIT: And you adding on to comment on my posts doesn't help this thread any more than me for some reason posting this. You could have just ignored my post and left it be.

-Aldenhier