Yay! Permissions!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
justins

Re: Yay! Permissions!

Post by justins »

I can't wait to get home and install this. Talk about irony, yesterday I managed to screw up my root file system in linux. I wasn't planning on reinstalling MySQL until permissions were added, because I was done playing until then.

Well, I guess I'm reinstalling MySQL sooner than I thought.

From what I've seen, the permissions layout looks amazing.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

profpete wrote: anyone else have trouble instantiating db classes, and have to edit install.php then edit it back again for the next step, or is it just me???
I did have an error to do with that, but, I just had to define what $sql_db should be, then it worked, didn't have to change anything back. Very smooth install.

Now to play.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I'm very impressed indeed: The system is certainly extremely powerfull.

It does seem a little too convoluted however - For example is there really any need to be able to set permissions on a by user basis? Would it not be simpler to create a new usergroup, rather than having the two options?
The other part was simply the complexity: Having to set permissions for each of the forums for each of the (now more numerous) groups individually, as opposed to the more 'herachical' approach (if guests could view, so could everyone 'above' them) adopted by phpBB2 seems like it may be quite time consuming: Of course, this would be almost entirely aleviated by preset options.
I can't also see much point in there being Users Forum Permissions, Groups Forum Permissions, Forum Permissions, when they all appear to perform essentially the same task, albeit slightly reordered.

These are fairly minor gripes though, which will be partly aleviated by the inclusion of presets I would hope. I love the ACP, and the way phpBB manages groups, but everything just seems a little complex to me at the moment.

dhn

Post by dhn »

As mentioned, there is still ongoing work on the interface. Most of your concerns will be addressed.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

dhn wrote: As mentioned, there is still ongoing work on the interface. Most of your concerns will be addressed.
Good to hear (although I wasn't expecting much less to be honest :D)

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

WOW!!!! IT IS OUTSTANDING!!!!

I LOVE the little tabs like post, content, actions.

The phpBB team did an outstanding job planing and executing it.

It looks like we're getting close to beta!!

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

cooleo100d wrote: WOW!!!! IT IS OUTSTANDING!!!!

I LOVE the little tabs like post, content, actions.

The phpBB team did an outstanding job planing and executing it.

It looks like we're getting close to beta!!
well it's looked like "close to beta' for a month and a half now so... who knows.

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

NNO-Stephen wrote: well it's looked like "close to beta' for a month and a half now so... who knows.
But the permissions module is a HUGE step.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

cooleo100d wrote:
NNO-Stephen wrote: well it's looked like "close to beta' for a month and a half now so... who knows.
But the permissions module is a HUGE step.
this is very true. there are a few more large steps to go though still.

MKruer

Post by MKruer »

Anyone willing to bet the first beta will be released April 1st? :mrgreen: