Quote threshold limit?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
brosta

Re: Quote threshold limit?

Post by brosta »

When quoting guice's post, you recieve an error...

"You may embed only 3 quotes within each other."

guice

Post by guice »

brosta wrote: When quoting guice's post, you recieve an error...

sweet. Another question; is there a way within phpBB to auto remove quotes starting internally?

It's nice you get an error, but that's not a very userfriendly approach. A good approach would be to remove the inner most quote(s) and allow the post to go through. Actually, the BEST way to do it is to remove the inner quote when you attempt to quote a message that will exceed the threshhold.

brosta

Post by brosta »

guice wrote:
brosta wrote: When quoting guice's post, you recieve an error...

sweet. Another question; is there a way within phpBB to auto remove quotes starting internally?

It's nice you get an error, but that's not a very userfriendly approach. A good approach would be to remove the inner most quote(s) and allow the post to go through. Actually, the BEST way to do it is to remove the inner quote when you attempt to quote a message that will exceed the threshhold.
I wouldn’t worry about this, I rather the developers spend their time getting to a beta release first. Then in another release they could add this functionality.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

A quote nesting limit doesn't solve the problem I am seeing, which is users just abusing the quote-button as a reply-button, without taking any care as to whether the quote they are inserting into their post that way, actually has any added value for their post (simply leaving a copy of a complete post above their own text, which often just is the preceding post anyway). Which is actually quite nicely demonstrated in the few posts above ;)

b3rx

Post by b3rx »

Eelke wrote: A quote nesting limit doesn't solve the problem I am seeing, which is users just abusing the quote-button as a reply-button, without taking any care as to whether the quote they are inserting into their post that way
im quoting you now... lol... well the new permission module allows you [site admin] to disable quote in a particular user or in a particular forum. therefore no quote button will appear in every post. resulting no quotes..
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

We'll see, maybe it's a solution. Maybe if it just takes away the button, because it's not that I want people to stop quoting, just would like to see them using it a bit more consciously (having to copy-paste bits of text and placing quote-tags manually will probably do the trick :))

code reader

Post by code reader »

the problem with that is that the quote button adds some sugar to the quote, such:
Eelke wrote: We'll see (rest removed)
while using a copy/paste will result in some leaner (and less informative) quote, such:
We'll see (rest removed)
in some other boards, there is even a more elaborated quote mechanism, that looks so:
on 02/14/2006, Eelke wrote: We'll see (rest removed)
and, my favorite is when this is actually a link to the quoted post itself.
the last one comes handy when you quote a post from the middle of a long thread, or when the moderator have split the thread, so the message quoted is no longer in the same thread. (and, it allows you to actually include quotes from completely different site, and have the quote title serve as a link).
On 02/14/2006, Eelke wrote: Here is the quote. now, if i was quoting a message from the first page of this thread, you could click on the quote header, and read it! neat, ha?
to summarize: i dont think the quote button should be removed, i think it should be enhanced. and as to users abusing it, a remedy other than handicapping the board software should be found.

b3rx

Post by b3rx »

the link + quote was a good idea... well maybe the problem lies on your forum member. you should tell them not to quote often. lol.. make a rule for that if they quote too much or their quote is irrelevent it would be dealt with. i think phpBB cant do anything if thats the real case. or maybe im wrong.
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I'm not saying phpBB should do anything (beyond maybe making the quote-button optional, but I think that'd be a simple matter of not adding it to your template :))

Yes, the quote-button does add some sugar on top of what average Joe User would use, but it's really not that complicated to manually type the same sugar :)

Sure, part is in user education. Just seems I keep having to tell different people (but a global announcement seems to be overkill :)) Just a little personal frustration that was tirggered by this topic, I guess ;)