Quote threshold limit?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
guice

Quote threshold limit?

Post by guice »

Is there going to be a quoting threshold limit? I like how some boards will not requote quoted text when you quote somebody's reply containing a quote from a previous post... Now, if I hadn't lost ya already; phpBB will requote text to the point of oblivion. Have you seen a post that contains 5 levels of quotes? It's horriable. It actually takes *away* from initial post itself. I find anything more than a single sub-quote to be quote distracting.

Will there a way to set the threashold or complete disable quoting of quotes in phpBB3? Or will there be an actual threashold limit built in? I've already seen on these boards quotes 1 and 2 levels deep, which makes me think there currently isn't one.

code reader

Re: Quote threshold limit?

Post by code reader »

there is a nested quote limit, adjustable in the acp. presumably, setting it to 1 will only allow one level of quoting, so you can use it to completely block nested quotes, or set it higher to limit the nesting level.
didnt try it myself, but i would suggest you go to the "test" area of this board and give it a run for the money.
iirc, the default nesting quote limit is 3, but i may be wrong. anyway, there is no reason for you to use the default once you have your own olympus board.

(btw: the wording of the acp item is somewhat misleading. it reads: "Max nested quotes per post". one can think a single post can have only 3 nested quotes, which is not the case. it should be something like "max quote nesting level" or such. you can have as many nested quotes in a single post as you want, as long as the nesting level is within limits.

ChALkeR

Post by ChALkeR »

In 2.1.x the nested quotes limit is configurable from ACP.
IN 2.0.x there was a limit, but it wasn't configurable from ACP.
Sorry for my bad English....

code reader

Post by code reader »

ChALkeR wrote: In 2.1.x the nested quotes limit is configurable from ACP.
there is no quote nesting limit in 2.0.x . there might be a mod, but other than that, there is none.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

code reader wrote:
there is no quote nesting limit in 2.0.x . there might be a mod, but other than that, there is none.
There is a 30-quote limit in 2.0.x.

guice

Post by guice »

DeadEye686 wrote:
code reader wrote:
There is a 30-quote limit in 2.0.x.

Ha, pretty much the same thing as none.

Thanks though. Glad to see there's at least a way to limit the quoting. I know people can do it manually, but often your posters are just too lazy to do it themselves.

code reader

Post by code reader »

DeadEye686 wrote: There is a 30-quote limit in 2.0.x.
no there isn't.
what there is, is a limitation of SOME browsers that show "only" the first X (where X depend on the browser), and that's because of the way the quotes are rendered in subsilver (nested tables, with <table width="90%" ... , which seems to choke ff aroud 30 nesting levels, and ie around 23)
for all phpbb cares, there is no limit.
(and specifically, konqueror will happily show you at least 40.)

in any event, even "only" 30 nesting level is practically unlimited.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Why yes -- the limit should at least be a prime number and less than 100, something like a 97 nesting-level limit would do ;)

APTX

Post by APTX »

An odd perfect number should do.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

On the area51 BB, the embedded quote limit is now set to 3, apparently.