Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TimJBart

Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by TimJBart »

I was wondering if in this new version the confirmation page after posting that takes you back to your thread would still be there.

Why does phpBB use this page before going back to the thread? Is it not possible to see your own message as soon as you press post?

I've always wondered...
In vino veritas

Limit-Studios

Re: Why does phpBB use a posting confirmation page?

Post by Limit-Studios »

that page IIRC is used to insert your actual post into the database, and is purely there for that reason.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

good question, I've wondered this myself.

couldn't they just build that code into what the "submit" button does and not require a whole nother page needing to be loaded? I've had several people ask why this page is needed on my forum too.

Limit-Studios

Post by Limit-Studios »

the submit button sends a $_POST request with the form details (basically your psot) to the confirmation which then adds the post to the database.

You can always lower the redirect so it redirects quicker.

TimJBart

Post by TimJBart »

Limit-Studios wrote: You can always lower the redirect so it redirects quicker.
Yes I have done this in my forums, but really what I want is for there to be no page at all!

In what way does vbulletin post differently then because that posts the message straight to the thread. As you can tell I know very little of what goes on in the code, all I have done is install mods :)
In vino veritas

TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

I don't really like how this works either, but I know I can create a work around. Instead of pparsing or whatever the function's called in Olympus, use the redirect function, provided by the phpBB core. Have it redirect to the topic, there you go.
Sorry if that sounded like support, to me it was a suggested for other "disgrunteled" users.

automagnus

Post by automagnus »

A little off topic, but I always wondered why phpbb uses

Code: Select all

$server_name = preg_replace('#^\/?(.*?)\/?$#', '\1', trim($board_config['server_name']));
and not

Code: Select all

$server_name = preg_replace('#^\/?(.*?)\/?$#', '\1', trim($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']));
in the redirect function

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

TimJBart wrote:
Limit-Studios wrote: You can always lower the redirect so it redirects quicker.
Yes I have done this in my forums, but really what I want is for there to be no page at all!

In what way does vbulletin post differently then because that posts the message straight to the thread. As you can tell I know very little of what goes on in the code, all I have done is install mods :)
vBulletin uses AJAX for their posting from the quick reply box and even all throughout the topics so they can do all sorts of different things because that is the path they chose to take. I don't particularly like the aditional overhead that this junk requires, but that's the way they chose to do it. this is a partial explanation of why, with at least the quick reply box, that posting is "instant."

there are other reasons I'm sure for the "real" posting, but AFAIK this is part of the reason, and at least for the quick reply posting. Again, I'd love clarification.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

I remember reading once why confirmation pages are a good idea, there was a very good technical reason.

Plus, if there is no confirmation then a user may be confused as to whether their posting was actually posted.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I believe it was something to do with cookies / sessions, although that could well have been the login confirmation page.