When you say "It'll get done when it gets done"...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SpilltheBeans

When you say "It'll get done when it gets done"...

Post by SpilltheBeans »

...what do you mean?

If you mean it will be released when the code is stable and secure and not sooner than that, I agree.

If you mean it doesn't matter when 3.0 is released, I beg to differ. It's not fair to compare phpBB to vBulletin or IPB, but it is fair to compare phpBB to SMF and other "free" boards. At this point, I would concede that SMF 1.1 is more advanced than the base phpBB 2.0.x. You could make the case that 3.0 will surpass SMF 1.1, and I would agree with that, but SMF will also continue to move forward.

I'm not trying to be flame bait, but I just wanted to point out that phpBB doesn't live in a vacuum. It should continue to keep up with other boards. The developers are working hard and I'm not critizing them, but the people that say that just because the software is free means a timely relase date isn't important is not view I agree with. I'm not desperate and waiting to upgrade to 3.0 since my modded 2.0.x has almost every feature I want, but I'm just sick of people denigrating phpBB and saying get VB instead or get SMF instead. With Olympus, we can make a strong case to get phpBB instead.

DavidMJ

Re: When you say "It'll get done when it gets done"

Post by DavidMJ »

SMF is free as in beer, not as in speech. Apples and oranges.
Freedom from fear

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

IMHO, I think SMF is pretty bad.

The layouts aren't nearly as clean as phpBB. Also, the private messaging system is just awful.

I think phpBB3 (based on the CVS) is MUCH better than SMF, and you can easily make a case that it's better than vBulliten.

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

This topic is just begging to be locked.

SpilltheBeans

Post by SpilltheBeans »

cooleo100d wrote: IMHO, I think SMF is pretty bad.

The layouts aren't nearly as clean as phpBB. Also, the private messaging system is just awful.

I think phpBB3 (based on the CVS) is MUCH better than SMF, and you can easily make a case that it's better than vBulliten.
The point isn't about SMF per se, and I said that if you say 3.0 is better than SMF 1.1 I will agree. Read the posting please. My point is that other software, including SMF, will move forward so we in the phpBB community should encourage the forward development of the software. Let's not have an elitist attitude and say it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing. In fact, a lot of the new features are based on what others have thought of such as sub-forums and attachments, and, if it ever comes back, karma.
rivaldo wrote: This topic is just begging to be locked.
I don't see why. We're all pro-phpBB here.

FronServo

Post by FronServo »

[Deleted]
Last edited by Graham on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic posts removed

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

[Deleted]
Last edited by Graham on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fountain of Apples

Post by Fountain of Apples »

[Deleted]
Last edited by Graham on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
A successful community begins with YOU. Tag, you're it.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

SpilltheBeans wrote: If you mean it will be released when the code is stable and secure and not sooner than that, I agree.
That, generally is exactly what is ment when we say 'when its ready'. There's no point releasing 3.0, and then having to patch it to get it to a stable level. Even the beta will be quite stable (hell, even the CVS's, while lacking some functions are stable, but there's no point pushing a CVS as a beta)
SpilltheBeans wrote: If you mean it doesn't matter when 3.0 is released [...]
Of course it matters, nearly everyone on the teams has said that development of 3.0 has taken far longer than they would of liked. However, unlike developing on from, say, 2.0.x, 3.0.x was totally re-written, which does take time. Real life has also got in the way, but I'm confident that 3.0 will come to light sooner rather than later.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Glorius Hole

Post by Glorius Hole »

Whenever I look for software to put on site, i look for the GPL. SMF doesn't have one. vB doesn't have one. MyBB doesn't have one. Oh so many more up and coming discussion forum systems don't have one. Therefor they aren't viable options for me, and no doubt they aren't viable options for a lot of other web masters out there... Therefor, what's the point in phpBB group trying to compete with them when they know there's no real competition to begin with?