will there be a non csv release pre finishing of 3x?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
crazy4sims

will there be a non csv release pre finishing of 3x?

Post by crazy4sims »

hi poeple
i was woundering if there is a stable egough version to download. but mi have no clue how to use csv. so basicly some that works but is not done

wGEric

Re: will there be a non csv release pre finishing of 3x?

Post by wGEric »

No. The only code that is released is in CVS.
Eric

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Yes. When the Beta is reached. :P

crazy4sims

Post by crazy4sims »

wGEric wrote: No. The only code that is released is in CVS.
how do i use the cvs then i'd like to just see the hole functionalty so far

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

crazy4sims wrote:
wGEric wrote: No. The only code that is released is in CVS.
how do i use the cvs then i'd like to just see the hole functionalty so far
http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs/" target="_blank
Everything you need to know is on that page. If you need any more support, we aren't going to give it to you here because Olympus is not supported at this time and that also includes support in getting it.
Eric

crazy4sims

Post by crazy4sims »

okay thnks i understand the hole support issu

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

I don't really understand why people aren't more helpful with the CVS versions and installing them and so on. I know there's no official support for any of it... wait until it's finished... don't ask about release dates blah blah blah, BUT we're all checking this forum in the hope of "IT'S HERE" being on the page and then finding people have asked the SAME questions AGAIN and all they ever get it slated by everyone else.

Seeing as it's clear that 3 isn't going to be here for a while (maybe) why don't people give help to people who are trying to get the CVS to run? There's nothing else to talk about on this forum any more, every subject has been done to death! Now it's just about technicalities of password storage and that's about it!

So basically, why are people so unwilling to even offer basic help on CSV downloading?

<< braces for lots of shouting >>

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

asmith3006 wrote: I don't really understand why people aren't more helpful with the CVS versions and installing them and so on.
You're lucky that CVS checkouts by anonymous users are allowed/posted at all. CVS is not in any way another method of release.
asmith3006 wrote: I know there's no official support for any of it... wait until it's finished... don't ask about release dates blah blah blah, BUT we're all checking this forum in the hope of "IT'S HERE" being on the page and then finding people have asked the SAME questions AGAIN and all they ever get it slated by everyone else. Seeing as it's clear that 3 isn't going to be here for a while (maybe) why don't people give help to people who are trying to get the CVS to run? There's nothing else to talk about on this forum any more, every subject has been done to death! Now it's just about technicalities of password storage and that's about it!
Ahem... what part of "no support for CVS" do you not get? Your argument fails... just because many people ask for help regarding CVS versions (which they shouldn't be) doesn't mean we should offer support for it. Note that CVS contains unstable code; it's a means for multiple developers to collaborate code in one repository.
asmith3006 wrote: So basically, why are people so unwilling to even offer basic help on CSV downloading?

<< braces for lots of shouting >>
Because no support for CVS is offered. See the above points, along with past points. There is no point in offering support for code that's not even finished yet.

Also note that you cannot "download" CVS. IMHO it's a good thing that users who want to see Olympus snapshots have to be knowledgeable enough (or at least, able to read the instructions) to perform a CVS checkout.

And note that CSV != CVS.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

Ok, I'm really sorry for getting the S and the V wrong, I hope you can forgive me I truely do.

I KNOW that "no support is offered", that's my point WHY NOT. People should be left alone with the actual thing, if they are unable to install it then it's their fault, but if people are asking something as basic as "how do I download it" then I don't understand why people take the time to say "No support given don't ask for it or we WILL take your fingers off you" instead of "if you go to <link> this page </link> you can download it, please remember that it's not finished so don't be suprised if you find anything broken".

These are people who are obviously still learning about the web and how things work on it. These people are probably looking at setting up a forum of their own and by the time phpBB3 gets here they'll probably be quite good at php/sql/whatever and so they may even make mods and offer others support, but if people are rude to them on the forums when they ask a simple question they are more likely to go elsewhere! Who knows, we may even scare off the future team leader!

Just to be clear, I never meant offering support for the CODE, just for actually downloading it or accessing it or whatever. If I mislead you there I'm sorry.

I know that the CSV/CVS/whatever-it's-called is un-usual and that we're actually really lucky to be able to access it, but I don't understand why we can't help other people with it a bit more...

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

asmith3006 wrote: I KNOW that "no support is offered", that's my point WHY NOT.
Because, as my post above stated, CVS is not another means of release. It's a method for multiple developers to collaborate code in a single repository. The code contained in CVS is unstable and unfinished. There is no point in offering support for products that have yet to be finished; for example, one "bug" reported may be fixed by the next commit.

Also note wGEric's post above.
asmith3006 wrote: People should be left alone with the actual thing, if they are unable to install it then it's their fault, but if people are asking something as basic as "how do I download it" then I don't understand why people take the time to say "No support given don't ask for it or we WILL take your fingers off you" instead of "if you go to <link> this page </link> you can download it, please remember that it's not finished so don't be suprised if you find anything broken".
I'd actually say the latter's more helpful, which is really what you're complaining about, people not being helpful. The link was already provided, even on the area51 homepage.

You were complaining that we didn't help users obtain CVS snapshots. Now you're complaining that we shouldn't? :|
asmith3006 wrote: These are people who are obviously still learning about the web and how things work on it. These people are probably looking at setting up a forum of their own and by the time phpBB3 gets here they'll probably be quite good at php/sql/whatever and so they may even make mods and offer others support, but if people are rude to them on the forums when they ask a simple question they are more likely to go elsewhere! Who knows, we may even scare off the future team leader!
See the above. No support.
asmith3006 wrote: I know that the CSV/CVS/whatever-it's-called is un-usual and that we're actually really lucky to be able to access it, but I don't understand why we can't help other people with it a bit more...
See the above. You also seem to be contradicting yourself.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email