No more IP encoding?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
hater

No more IP encoding?

Post by hater »

Unless I totally overlooked it, it appears that Olympus has ditched the idea of encoding user IP's in the DB. What's the philosophy behind NOT encoding them now, and encoding them in the first place?

Or, I may just be totally wrong and it is encoding them and I'm a huge retard. :)

dhn

Re: No more IP encoding?

Post by dhn »

hater wrote: Unless I totally overlooked it, it appears that Olympus has ditched the idea of encoding user IP's in the DB. What's the philosophy behind NOT encoding them now, and encoding them in the first place?

Or, I may just be totally wrong and it is encoding them and I'm a huge retard. :)
They were not encoded but stored hexadecimally. It wouldn't make sense to encode them. :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

dhn wrote: They were not encoded but stored hexadecimally. It wouldn't make sense to encode them. :)
this is more a teminology issue. hater did not say they were encrypted, but rather encoded. seeing that the function that does the packing in phpbb 2.0 is called "encode_ip()", i think his terminology is ok.
as to the original question: if i read the code correctly, the ip address is not encoded any more. moreover, it is stored as a varchar(40), which is way more than you would need for an IPv4 address (at most 15). this means that it can work now with IPv6 addresses, and maybe other address formats (if there are such other formats), as long as it is shorter than 40 chars.

hater

Post by hater »

Thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated. :)