WHY do people ask about phpBB3 so much?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Yoda_IRC

Re: WHY do people ask about phpBB3 so much?

Post by Yoda_IRC »

There may infact be propress, on the 20th acydburn made a pretty major looking commit (about 1.5 thousand lines changed), quite what they did I am unsure of. I am also unsure how accurate CVS gets these things, I seem to remember someone once had to change the line endings so CVS reported every line had changed (which I suppose it had). If I was really interested I could connect to SFs CVS and try and see if it lets me use the cvs diff command, but I am just happy to see such a big commit go into CVS without having to check the exact changes.

As for your choices, I wouldn't recommend 2. There code be secuirty vunerabillities in the software, not that I am saying the phpBB team having been focusing on secuirty, its just development software often has problems, and sometimes things are just written simply to fill a gap where it would need bigger code thats going to be written later. For instance

Code: Select all

function getSomething()
{
  //here I would look up stuff
  //for now I will just make do
  return DEFAULT;
}
(note: this code isn't from phpBB its just an example of what could happen)

Anyway kind of going of topic so back on topic, as any member of the phpBB team will yell down your ear, the CVS versions should not be used in a live situation and is completely unsupported and could break at any time.

The way you talk of competition suggests your a commercial organisation, if this is so maybe you can afford to pay for better forum software, but many of us just can't afford the hig price tag, especcially as I can almost guarentee if I pay for a license phpBB 3.0 will be released within a week and I will be regretting it. Plus I like the concept of Open Source software. I was thiking about contributing to an open source project when I have more free time but I am running into a lack of free time. And now I'm going off topic again so here I will end.
If you can afford to go for another forum and you think it is better than phpBB and is worth the increased price tag then go for it, however its nice you have stuck with phpBB. I stick with phpBB because it seems to work nicely, it may be basic but my forum isn't my site, my forum is part of my site. It realy does depend on what you want to use your forum for. I have seen several sites which are soley the forum, and maybe they need something more advanced. But for my purposes it is fine, and if you add too many features and do it baddly then you end up with something that is hard to use and runs slow and causes high sever load.

Anyway, good look with whatever you decide. But don't use CVS, its apparently good to play with but for anything important its a risk, it might work OK but that can't be guarenteed.

Marcus26

Post by Marcus26 »

Thanks for the reply

My site isn't a business, however in the market it is aimed at there is competition from other sites. We need users and need to keep them to survive.
I think you are spot on and changing brands is my only option. I support PHPBB, but end of the day, it's up to the ones who can actually deliver on their promises.

Moman

Post by Moman »

Sovereign wrote: Honestly, every time I come to this forum all I see is five billion questions asking for a release date that will not come. What is going on?
*randome rambling ends*
It's for the simple reason that everyone is eagerly awaiting it but it's not coming all too soon... ;)

And that made me purchase vBulletin instead :D

I did have some fun running the snapshot for a few months, though...
Mo
Finally Installed A Snapshot :D :D

[Edit: Removed, thankfully]

Revo1

Post by Revo1 »

You're on a phpBB3 forum asking why people on a phpBB3 board are asking about the phpBB3 forum? Notice the redundancy here. Knowledge is power. Hence, the question of the unknown. phpBB3 is going to have a lot of features forum goers want out of phpBB2. Quite frankly, why wouldn't someone want to ask about phpBB3 here at the phpBB3 area51 forum? What else would this forum be for if you aren't one of the staff members helping develop the phpBB3 software?
"We will offer our shadows to those that stand within it."

uranusalien

Post by uranusalien »

especcially as I can almost guarentee if I pay for a license phpBB 3.0 will be released within a week and I will be regretting it.
Please do, then phpBB 3.0 will come out. :P

ChALkeR

Post by ChALkeR »

I now use extremely modded phpBB 2.0...
Sorry for my bad English....

bcs10

Post by bcs10 »

I am someone who has asked the question about when phpbb3 will be released many times... and to be honest I keep asking because I like many of the fetures that are going to be included in it and dont want to have headackes of updated a modded board that has MODs that added those features to my 2.0 board...

In my case tho my site has always gotten so little activity that I do not really care so much because I am really one of the only 3 regular visitors to the site....

Just my take on this issue.
Currently using 2.0.10

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

Yoda_IRC wrote: There code be secuirty vunerabillities in the software
As you've just shown, no one is perfect. Some decent reasons to avoid using the CVS, but I would suggest that if anyone is going to convert over to 3.0 or considering updating their mods / providing a converter have a dabble. But then, those people are more than willing to hack away at the code to get it to work (at current, the installer is broken, so thats a fun manual job right there :) )

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Mitron

Post by Mitron »

Wow, I had no idea this application has been in development for almost 3 years now!

I just picked up 2.0.17 a few months ago because development of our own forum application was taking longer than I thought it would. I guess I don't feel so bad now considering you guys have a whole team of people working on this one for almost 3 years and it still isn't completed. :) I only spent 6 months developing ours before I found this one. I was looking at about another 6 months before I completed ours and I simply wanted to get something up and running now.

It kinda looks as though the forum erra may now be in a decline considering the new popularity of the blogs. The lack of decent support from the support board and many of the contributing mod programmers who have dropped their projects probably isn't helping matters much, as well as the anticipation for 3.0 to be released.

If it looks as though 3.0 is going to take another year or more to complete, you might want to consider finding a way to better support the current release in order to attempt to maintain your customer base. We had to do this back in the old C-Net 64 DS2 v2.0 BBS days when v2.5 and v3.0 was being developed. We opted to develop DS2 Network and CommNet as an add-on to the BBS package. This kept people's minds off of the upcoming BBS release and gave them something else to occupy their interests.

I'm wondering how far behind 3.0 will be in respect to the latest versions of Apache, PHP and MySQL by the time it actually gets released? For instance, will it support Apache 2.2.0, PHP 5.1.1 and MySQL 5.0.16 or will it still be fundementally for the older versions considering most of 3.0 code is 2 to 3 years old now? Just curious.

bejocund

Post by bejocund »

Personally, I am happy with area51's forum. why not release the phpbb version that currently runs area51?