WHY do people ask about phpBB3 so much?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Sovereign

WHY do people ask about phpBB3 so much?

Post by Sovereign »

Honestly, every time I come to this forum all I see is five billion questions asking for a release date that will not come. What is going on?
*randome rambling ends*
Salute!!

Admiral Sovereign

th23

Re: WHY do people ask about phpBB3 so much?

Post by th23 »

Could give you an easy answer... because they want it... ;)

But honestly... I don't understand it either! Especially why nobody reads existing threads (as they point out that there won't be an answer) before posting the same over and over again :|

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

The question is, how many people get on here with that same question, do some research first, and find out that asking is useless. I honestly hope that is many, many more and that this is just the 0,1% or so of people that (trying to be a polite as possible here) never learned how to properly use a forum.

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

They are clearly not cats

curiosity killed the cat
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

There are a couple reasons for this:

1) People are wondering where phpBB 3 is. People have been talking about it for years now.

2) There really isn't anything else to talk about on this forum. Everyone already knows most of what will be in phpBB 3. If you look back, when new stuff was introduced there was discussion on it. But now phpBB 3 is feature locked so no more discussion.

3) The developers mention back in Spring 2005 that there would likely be a beta this summer. But then that didn't happen, so people may think there is a beta and can't find it.

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

FIND
The developers mention back in Spring 2005 that there would likely be a beta this summer
IN-LINE FIND
that there would likely
IN-LINE REPLACE WITH
that there may*
IN-LINE FIND
this summer
IN-LINE REPLACE WITH
this year, last year, or next year
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

I know what the developers said. What I am saying was they said that the beta would be upcoming. Well it is now 1/2 year after that statement, so it is bound to be floating around. A conversation probably goes like this:

Person 1: "Hey, what is going on with phpBB 3?"
Person 2: "I think I remember the developers posting a beta was coming last summer, but haven't seen anything."
Person 1: "I will go and see what is happening."

So they come here and try to find out. Wouldn't it be easier and nicer to simply keep tell/link them to information, rather then making them feel like a big idiot or some sort of jerk for asking?

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

I have a short attention span and....

greek_manager

Post by greek_manager »

BondGamer wrote: Wouldn't it be easier and nicer to simply keep tell/link them to information, rather then making them feel like a big idiot or some sort of jerk for asking?
The right expression is "trying to make them feel"... etc

Anyone reading topics like this, sees that the answers people get, are (as stupid as / more stupid than) the original questions.

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Why do people complain about the people who ask about phpBB3 so much?

Seriously, I think the number of posts of people complaining, flaming and being downright condescending to those that ask about when phpBB3 will be released far outweigh the number of posts where people are asking about it.

It's pretty much why I don't come here much anymore. I mean, why not just ignore it or do something crazy like supply an answer? There's no reason for it to turn into a 3 page beat down.

People like to make others look stupid because they think it makes them looks smarter. But I think they just make themselves look like egocentric jerks.