Simple Question

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
r5a

Simple Question

Post by r5a »

Do the converts listed here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=68166" target="_blank

Work on the dev phpBB? I have an XMB forum (1.9.2) and I was wondering if it was possible to switch over?

code reader

Re: Simple Question

Post by code reader »

curently, there are no published converters available for olympus, not even from phpbb 2.0.
if/when olympus will go "public" (either beta, one of the RCs or "gold"), my guess is that the only converter that will be immediately available is the one from phpbb 2.0
so, the conversion path will be your-board ==> 2.0 ==> 3.0.

of course, this will create some issues, as a lot of the other boards support features that are missing in 2.0, such as subforums, friends/foes lists, moderated forums and more.
no doubt, if olympus will be released, some time after the release direct converters will become available which will handle the new features better than the path that goes through 2.0.

r5a

Post by r5a »

*sigh*

It makes perfect sense.

SHOwned

Post by SHOwned »

I know, unfortunatly that is the way it is, but as you said, it makes sense since this is still under development.

The quickest way for you to get on the path of using this new phpBB would probably be to convert to 2.0.X then once an upgrade script or converter becomes available, then you can upgrade from there. I can almost gaurantee you that the 2.0.X ---> 3.0.X converter will be the first available to convert to phpBB 3.0.X.

It can be done manually from phpBB2.0 via the database. I tried to manually do it and I royally messed things up. I then tried to go from a really old snapshot of this developmental version to a newer one, and converting that way made a nasty mess too. Then again, I don't really know what I am doing. :lol: If you know your stuff though, it is possible to manually do it.

Mark The Daemon

Post by Mark The Daemon »

SHOwned is right

YOu can update it via the database. I have try and sorta suceeded :lol: :lol:
I've gotta get some sleep 8O 8O

Mark
"Microsoft isn't the evil software company everyone thinks they are.
They just make crappy programs..."
Linus Torvalds, Creator of Linux OS

r5a

Post by r5a »

It's unfortinate becasue the old ver of phpBB dosn't have attacments, so the only thing that won't get converted I'm assuming is the attachments.

Thanks alot for your help fellas. Appericated. I'd ask when this is coming out along with the converter, but I already know the awnser. :roll:

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

LOL, good man... You had the sense not to ask... But don't worry... There's no such thing as a stupid question... :? Sort of (Stolen From SHowned)

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

Convertor questions go here
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

r5a

Post by r5a »

Well I got my XMB Forum converted up to the non-dev phpBB. 8)

I tried the dev-phpBB and it didn't like MySQL 4.1 / PHP 5.03 (coudn't create fourms, it say Sucessful but they didn't show up in the ACP)

So I'll just hold off until this gets done.

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

There are no convertors for Olympus at this point in time.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio