Waithing long time :(

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
smithy_dll

Re: Waithing long time :(

Post by smithy_dll »

Yoda_IRC wrote: (and no it don't work on people or forum users)
Thats what zebra lists are for :mrgreen:
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio
dhn

Post by dhn »

Davidls wrote: Thats what zebra lists are for :mrgreen:
:)
VaLUnTriAn

Post by VaLUnTriAn »

I joined this forum on 18 Jun 2003 if that tells you anything :?

I think it's been in development since 2001 or something though so I doubt it will ever actually get released.
VaLUnTriAn
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

It has been started in mid january 2003 and under development since march/may 2003.

wingnut144

Post by wingnut144 »

VaLUnTriAn wrote: I think it's been in development since 2001 or something though so I doubt it will ever actually get released.
I'm sure there are other software packages out there for you if you can't wait any longer.....

I guess I don't see the point of complaining that it isn't done yet. I would rather have something that works as well as possible, rather than have the developers rush something out the door just to make the world happy....
Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

Yoda_IRC wrote: I just blocked stubbers signiture and now my eyes don't hurt, well they hurt less, staring at the screen is begining to hurt lol. Thank god for firefox's adblock, make annoying stuff go away (and no it don't work on people or forum users)
.....yes forum users can actually, it's done from the User control panel.

Methinks stubbers has little to do.
timsline

Post by timsline »

wingnut144 wrote:
VaLUnTriAn wrote: I think it's been in development since 2001 or something though so I doubt it will ever actually get released.
I'm sure there are other software packages out there for you if you can't wait any longer.....

I guess I don't see the point of complaining that it isn't done yet. I would rather have something that works as well as possible, rather than have the developers rush something out the door just to make the world happy....
I started using PHPBB years ago, when it was truly a leader in Open Source forums. For a long time I tried to put off building a site, hoping that the features I saw here in area 51 would be available in a stable release soon. Soon never came, and here we are still waiting for the PHPBB that could be. I'm really dissapointed to see other forums continue to grow and update while development on this version continues at slower than a snails pace.

For some web sites, people don't need all the bells and whistles offered by the other forum software. As much as I want to hope this version will have a stable release soon, I don't see any sign of that happenning in the next few months.

So instead I'm going to go through all the available mods and see if the current stable release has the features I am looking for. I want to use PHPBB, but the stable version just feels outdated to me as we approach 2006.
DanoruX

Post by DanoruX »

timsline wrote:
wingnut144 wrote:

I started using PHPBB years ago, when it was truly a leader in Open Source forums. For a long time I tried to put off building a site, hoping that the features I saw here in area 51 would be available in a stable release soon. Soon never came, and here we are still waiting for the PHPBB that could be. I'm really dissapointed to see other forums continue to grow and update while development on this version continues at slower than a snails pace.

For some web sites, people don't need all the bells and whistles offered by the other forum software. As much as I want to hope this version will have a stable release soon, I don't see any sign of that happenning in the next few months.

So instead I'm going to go through all the available mods and see if the current stable release has the features I am looking for. I want to use PHPBB, but the stable version just feels outdated to me as we approach 2006.
phpbb3 is moving along. The problem is that the devs decided to add on so many features (when I don't know) that it's taking years to complete :(
Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

They actually removed things from the list, pushing them off until 3.2 or moving them into community development. There's a hint on the main site about a possible upcoming beta, and those of us following the CVS entries have noted significant additions of functionality in the last two months.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.
saltydx

Post by saltydx »

Based on the last snapshot I installed and all the digest emails I've been getting and reading, the devs are flying.