Stability of DB schema etc

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
wtanaka

Stability of DB schema etc

Post by wtanaka »

I'd like help deciding whether I should

1. apply this massive mod to get subforums in my current phpbb2 installation
or
2. switch over to a reasonably functional CVS tag of phpbb3.

I've already hacked up a lot of the authentication code in my running copy of phpbb2 to integrate it with my existing website login system. The reason i'd like to avoid option #1 is I have a feeling that upgrading from a forum with that mod applied to phpbb3 when it comes out is going to be painful.

I'm curious how much more the phpbb3 database schema is going to change from whatever it is currently, if you might have a guess. If I start running phpbb3 now, do you forsee a point between now and release where any big painful data migrations will be needed? Is this board itself running the CVS HEAD?

smithy_dll

Re: Stability of DB schema etc

Post by smithy_dll »

Expect it to change.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

a.somervell

Post by a.somervell »

I'm taking a stab in the dark at there being changes in and around the style/template and user/session tables

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

I didn't say it was going to, all I said was you should expect it to if it needs to.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

Wert

Post by Wert »

2. switch over to a reasonably functional CVS tag of phpbb3.
I wouldn't bet on such a thing truly existing no matter how much people seem to think it does at this point.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

profpete

Post by profpete »

Apply an older version of the subforum mod that doesn't make such extensive changes?

th23

Post by th23 »

profpete wrote: Apply an older version of the subforum mod that doesn't make such extensive changes?
But this won't change the point, that there will be no (official) upgrade path from this modificated board to phpBB 3.x...

profpete

Post by profpete »

But the older version I'm using only makes one addition to the schema. Removing the mod files but leaving the database intact reverts the forum to a flat scheme.

Therefore, my plan is to upgrade to 3.0, and just re-arrange the structure of the subforums!

a.somervell

Post by a.somervell »

Thing is... I'm using the CVS for a board that my developers and I use to communicate about projects, I dont have a problem with it! Sure you're asking for a couple of headaches but the guys have got a *beep* of functional code going...

I certainly wont be installing 2.0 anywhere

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

profpete wrote: Apply an older version of the subforum mod(../..)
Certainly not the thing to do : if I have released new versions, this is not only for the pleasure, but because there are some incompliancy with latest php/mysql versions.

An to answer to th23 : there will be an upgrade path from phpBB + CH latest version to phpBB 3.0 when phpBB 3.0 will go gold. Though, if you have not a real need, I advice you to not install any mod at all.